Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Would this bother you?
An_191395 posted:
or creep you out if one of your parents or your DH/DF/DB's etc. parent was dating someone who was younger than you or your SO? My MIL has a really strange relationship with a guy who is younger than my DH. (Actually, he is SIL's ex! Where's Jerry Springer when you need him???). They have never said anything about a relationship or act like they are together around any of us but when you look at the circumstances it just doesn't add up to anything that isn't weird. For example:

He lives @ the house with MIL, SIL and SIL's DF
He and MIL share the master bedroom
He won't drive so MIL takes him everywhere
She insists that he be included in family gatherings
His parents live in the area but he moved out of their house to move into MIL's
They go on trips together

DH won't let me talk to him about it because I am sure he knows it is unusual but doesn't want to think about it and acknowledge it to himself. I am not trying to be judgemental or start any kind of war because I know they are both legal, consenting adults and what they do is their business, I was just seeking opinions to see if I am in the minority here for thinking it is weird and being a little creeped out by it. Thanks ladies!

Take the Poll

Honestly, how would you feel if one of your parents or IL's was involved with someone younger than you or your SO?
  • It would really bother me
  • I would be happy for them
  • It wouldn't matter much to me either way
vote
View Poll Results

ad1978 responded:
yes, major ick factor! though I don't blame your DH for not wanting to think about it...ew....

sarah0323 responded:
Actually my dad is. The person he is "dating/living with" is 10 years younger than me and she has 2 children that are the same age or younger than mine. I'll be honest it does bother me. He has been with her for about 2 years now and I am finally adjusting to it. It is hard but I just hope he is happy and that is all I can hope for. Yes I hope that one day he will find someone more his own age. I really have to think of her as a sister or friend but can't and won't think about it any other way.

roni090909 responded:
OMG that would creep me out. The younger part is kind of weird but I would deal with it. The fact that he is SIL ex and lives under the same roof as SIL and her DF is just wierd. I would be so pissed if my Mom dated one of my ex's.

mamatobe08 replied to roni090909's response:
That's what I was thinking--the age, ok a lot of people do that, gross but I could deal(my dad's wife is actually umm I think 12 years younger than him and it took me a LONG time to adjust even though she's still 10 years older than me). But SIL's ex?? That's just wrong on sooo many levels!

MISSBUBBLEYAJG responded:
Ugh I just have to say you have not met my dad!! I posted about him occasionally on the pg boards, but let me tell you. My dad has 7 and one on the way kids at 46 years old. His gf who gave him his last 2 kiddos is get this barely 18! I know gross and illegal..Is it my problem nope..my dad is special to say the least. After all these years I have learned to just let him do what he does he may never change and have learned to accept him for him regardless of his million mistakes. I just feel bad for his gf, shes so young and she doesnt know my dad like that. Shes prob going to be scarred, but again not my problem..I love him but at this point it seems as though the kids are the parents and he is the kid...

simerlm responded:
My dad married someone younger than me and my two sisters. I didn't vote because, at first, I was really creeped out by it. I never thought he was really serious. Just messing around. Now, I guess I 'm used to it. They seem like they are doing well, so...to each their own I guess. It does weird me out still when she calls my kids her grandkids.

KatieS83 responded:
My dad re-married someone 20 years younger then him, he has 2 kids with her (maybe more by now). I can honestly say we werent thrilled about it, it was still a little odd to us, i'd feel the same way if it were my mom.

TyPatrick08 replied to KatieS83's response:
Big WOW factor with the fact that it is SIL EX!!! WHAT!!!!! I am not sure how your SIL can stand to live there, I would of left at the sight of them two together... does SIL and MIL talk? That is just beyond crazy!

cduffy responded:
In all honesty, it would bother me at first. And DID bother me at first. My MIL divorced my FIL and is now with someone the same age as DH and I. I'm over it now and think it's fine now, but at first it really creeped me and DH out. We've come to accept it and I truly believe you can't control who you love. But yes, it definitely bothered us at first.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 years old and have a beautiful 19 month old daughter named Sofia Belen and I am married but my husband is not currently in the country. Me and...More

Helpful Tips

Sunblock Expiration
Just an FYI/reminder: sunblock does expire! Some even only last a few months. So, if you're planning to use left overs from last season, it ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.