Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Summer Activities
momtobegrunden posted:
OK Ladies, I need your help! And I'm sure this thread will help others, too.

I'm getting my "lesson plans" put together for this summer, and I need ideas! I've got quite a list going, but I'm sure all of you will have lots of ideas to add. I'm in need of mostly things to do from home. Most days I'll have too many children to actually go anywhere unless we walk. (And there's nothing within walking distance except a condemned pool, a rusty playground, and a cemetary).

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some things I already have are : water wars, picnic, bug hunt, building forts, making ice cream, playing school (don't want them to unlearn everything!), wacky week, science experiments...you get the idea

The ages I will have are: 10 yo girl; 6 yo boy; 2 yo boy; 1.5 yo boy; 7 month old girl; various neighborhood kids at any given time I will also have 9 yo DSS and 14 yo DSD every other week. DSD is a HUGE help, so activities involving more than one set of older hands are welcome.

Let's bounce some ideas around!

mamatobe08 responded:
Pudding painting(outside!), sprinklers, umm I don't know, I was a nanny one summer but most of the time we just went to their neighborhood pool or for a bike ride!

momtobegrunden replied to mamatobe08's response:
Pudding painting will be great for messy week! We're already planning a pool full of noodles and jello balloon fight. Pudding will go right along with that!

diamond7sparkles responded:
Treasure hunts! Those are fun. Kid Cuisine- buy kid friendly foods and let them put it together for lunch (i.e- fruit salad, deli sandwiches, etc)

mamatobe08 replied to momtobegrunden's response:
OMG jellow balloons!! LOL I've never heard that one, but that sounds fun!

katieb426 responded:
We are doing weekly (at least) trips to the library and participating in the summer reading program there. They always have free and fun activities. But we are close enough to walk or ride our bikes. We will ride bikes everywhere.

Swimming, hiking, chores (lol!) are all on the schedule for us.

Do you have a tent? Set it up in the backyard and go on a "camping trip".

We go on a lot of "adventure walks" around the neighborhood.

Sounds like you've got some fun things planned!

alliegirl77 responded:
My sis is off for the summer (she's a teacher). She has "theme" weeks. One is farm week. They are going to a local dairy farm that week and she has crafts and activities planned that fit in with the theme. Another week is animal week. They are going to the zoo and are volunteering at the pet shelter.
Reading week - is every week - like Katie, they go the library on Monday to check out books that are about their "theme" for the week. One of the coolest weeks is color week. The go down to the Crayola Cafe, the crayola store, and then go to a place called Kaleidoscope where they get to create all kinds of glorious things. It's a big deal for them!

I am not sure on the rest of the weeks but she has a 7yo, 5yo, 3 yo and my LO will be there from time to time so a 2 yo. She's really great with ideas. There are tons of crafts that she finds on Disney.com and just by googling the theme of the week. I wish I had half of her creativity!

Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
Sounds like a lot of fun!!!! I would love to do that with my kids. I might steal your idea! Just google crafting ideas and you can get a lot. Maybe look and see if there are any free vacation bible school programs online where you can print and set up a whole week that way. I know there are free preschool programs so I am sure there are also VBS programs. Check Oriental Trading for some crafting ideas. You have to pay for the stuff but you might be able to get something that everyone could work on.

KatieS83 replied to momtobegrunden's response:
How do you make jello balloons? that sounds like fun
Ka (27) DH (29) DS (1 1/2) DD- due July 4th

MontanaMama2009 replied to KatieS83's response:
If jello balloons are anything like jello "shots," they'll have a blast!

JK...
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), and DD3 (nearly 2). A labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and gold fish. Life's grand!

momtobegrunden replied to KatieS83's response:
I haven't figured out the logistics of jello balloons yet...it could get messy

mtlmayhem replied to momtobegrunden's response:
mmm jello!!

I got curious & googled it: ehow says:

Select a box of the Jell-O flavor of your choice. Choose appropriate colors for parties such as lime green Jell-O for Halloween . Cherry Red is great for summer parties on the Fourth of July.

• Step 2Prepare the Jell-O according to the box directions. Do not refrigerate. Once the Jell-O has been mixed and all water added, move to the next step.

• Step 3Fill a small balloon with air. Thin wall, small balloons work well but experiment with different types of balloons.

• Step 4Place the balloon's opening around a small funnel. Use your fingers to hold the balloon to the funnel.

• Step 5Pour the Jell-O into mixture into the balloon using the funnel. Do this until the balloon has a good shape. Do not overfill the balloon.

• Step 6Tie the end of the balloon once it is filled. Use either string, balloon clamps, or twist the balloon's opening into a knot to tie it.

• Step 7Place the Jell-O balloon in the refrigerator to set for a few hours.

• Step 8Repeat Steps 3 to 6 for each balloon.

• Andrea (32) DH (33) DS1 22 months old, my strong willed little Leo! DS2 due 09/21!!! There will be NOISE in my house of Boys!!!

MontanaMama2009 replied to mtlmayhem's response:
    I'm curious myself about this jello and balloon thing.

Does the outer balloon come off eventually and the kids play with the Jello mold?
    Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), and DD3 (nearly 2). A labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and gold fish. Life's grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
    Never mind! I googled it.

So instead of water gushing out when the balloon hits you, Jello does!???

How do you keep the Jello from setting?
    Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), and DD3 (nearly 2). A labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and gold fish. Life's grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

Spotlight: Member Stories

Kelly (31) ~*~ Craig (34) ~*~ Eliana (3) ~*~ Joshua (1.5) ~*~ Rebekah (EDD 7/16/2010) ~*~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~*~ Siamese Kittybabies Waller & Lessa (8...More

Helpful Tips

Straws & restaurants
    Well wish I could take credit for this one but I can't. I think i saw it in Parenting magazine. Take a travel toothbrush holder and put ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 37 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.