Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carseat?
sarahann1978 posted:
I know it gets asked all the time, but I'm wonder who has turned their carseats to FF, and how old you LO was when you did it, or when you plan to?

My DS is 17 months today and his feet definitely hit the back of the seat and his legs have to be bent to fit in it RF. He is about 3 inches from the top of the carseat, so we are good there, but getting close. He is super strong so I have been considering turning it, but then I think what if right when I turn it we are in that fluke accident and I regret it for the rest of my life. I don't know, what do you think?

Take the Poll

Have you turned your LO to forward facing in their carseat?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jlynnpaine responded:
Personally, I'm going to keep my DD rear facing for as long as she fits safely in the seat. She is only a couple of inches from the top of the carseat so I suspect she will outgrow it in the next couple of months but maybe not. I don't mind if she has to bend her legs to fit because she doesn't look uncomfortable yet and is still content. I really don't think how strong they are has anything to do with how safe they are FF. Adults get whiplash in accidents all the time and think how much stronger they are than a toddler.
I'm not trying to be mean, just giving you my view point on it. You have to do what you think is best for your LO. I too worry about being in an accident since the only time we ever go anywhere with DD is on the highway at high rates of speed.

mamatobe08 responded:
We turned DS at about 13 months. He was an inch from the top of the seat. Seriously lol. I cried about it because I was so afraid we would be in a freak accident. His legs had been bent for a while but I was totally fine with it.

Uhh, we went to Kindermusik today and there were a couple 2 and 3 year olds there, and Charlie was the tallest one there....He's 19 months lol. My kid is a giant.
Michelle(24), DB Drew(26), DS Charlie 11/4/08, New Babe EDD 12/1/10! My blog thismamaneeds.blogspot.com

lenono97 responded:
We still have DD rear facing. She will be 19 months end of this week. From what I have read, I feel it's safer and I agree with the recommendation for RF until age 2. My pedi agrees as well. However, with that being said, her feet are starting to touch the back of the seat. So, not sure if we will make it to age 2. But at the same time she should be big enough to go FF then.

KCAimee responded:
I turned Hayden at 22 mo. We were going on a trip and I didn't want to listen to her whine the ENTIRE time. I'm glad I waited that long and I still sometimes feel weird about her being FF.
Aimee, married to my amazing D. Mama to two wonderful girls. M (05/05) and H (06/08)

jlc78 responded:
We turned DS around at 33 months. He was still within the seat limits to RF but getting him to sit in it properly was a battle. So we turned him. He's a small guy FWIW --- 26lbs and 35 inches at 3 years old. It's been 3 months since we turned him and I still feel guilty at times. Silly, I know. But I wanted to keep him RF until he reached the seat limits. At that rate, he would be off to college still RF-ing.

So obviously DD (21 months ) is still RF. She just hit the 20lb mark. Obvisouly based on DS, I'm an extended RF-ing mom so she'll stay that way for at least another year.
Me (31) DH (33) and our beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

Jackie03291 replied to jlc78's response:
I did have dd rear facing until my DH changed it behind my back about two weeks ago after she got sick in her carseat and he had to take it out to clean it! I was sooo angry at first, but not angry enough to change it back myself! LOL She is 20 months old, so we had a good run RF!
Jackie (25) Bryan (35) Ava 10/14/08

earleyml1012 responded:
We switched DD when she was 18 months. The week before we went to FL for a family wedding and the rental carseat with the minivan they gave us would not go in properly RF, so we put it in FF. I was so nervous since we were getting onto 95 in FL with 4 lanes!!! Everything was fine and she loved it...WOOOH was her reaction as we pulled out of the parking lot! So when we got home she was still RF for a few days and was a complete brat in the car. We figured she was a little closer to 2 yrs than when she was 1.
Me Michelle (27) DH Chris (27) DD Alexandra 12-6-08 Furbaby Zoe (3 yr lab mix)

peachyisthelife responded:
DD is 22mo old and is still rear facing. It's not bad if their feet touch the seat, mine is always kicking the seat (we have a carseat cover on it). I don't know when I'll change her, not any time soon probably. Don't really have a reason to change her.
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 21 mo~Baby 3 due July 23, 2010

TyPatrick08 responded:
My son is RF he is 19 months 33 inches and 27 lbs and I will keep him RF till he maxes out his seat. I have very stong oppinions on this as I took care of a child who was not properly restrained in a car seat and suffers brain damage and lives her life on a vent... what a quality of life.....
Me (22) DF (25) Tyler 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inches 18 month 33in 26lbs

sarahann1978 responded:
Thanks so much, and keep it coming! I really appreciate all opinions, and I don't injure easily so I take no offense to any of the comments.

I find it intersting that on the poll part more people have said they have turned the seat, but most of the comments are for leaving it rear facing. I guess maybe those who still RF are more pationate about making that choice, maybe?

My thought with the strength is that why does the AAP recommend age 2, why not until they no longer fit in the carseat limitations? So my thought was that maybe they figure by two most kids, including the weaker, less quickly developing kids, have enough head and neck strength to take such a force. So along those lines I would say that I think DS is mature for his age when it comes to strength and physical development, so if age two is appropriate for a developmentally delayed child, then maybe 17-18 months is sufficient for my DS.

But when it comes down to it you are all right and there is no great reason to turn it, so I should probably just wait until he grows two more inches towards the top of the seat and then flip it. At the rate he is growing that probably won't be that far off. I have not had him officially measured in months, but would guess that he is 34-35" tall and about 25-26lbs. He is a string bean, but all muscle!

TyPatrick08 replied to sarahann1978's response:
It is not the matter of their strnegth because in that case my son should of been FF at 9 months! It is the bone strucutre. Their bones under the age of 2 years old are mostly made up of cartilidge. They do not begin ossification "hardening" till then. So if a child is RF and you are in an impact the seat moves up because the back part is not strapped down. which then differs the "shock" of the accident not to the childs spine where it could do life threatening damge. Once a child is FF which at some point they all have to be their spines absorb that shock from the accident. But people tend to complain about their childrens leggs being bent if you are to break or fracture a bone that is fixable with limited problems. If you are to damage spinal cord you may be never ever able to use those little bent legs. I advocate very much for extended RF and believe it could save alot of childrens lives! Good luck with your decision. I am hoping to have given you some information for RF.
Me (22) DF (25) Tyler 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inches 18 month 33in 26lbs

jlc78 replied to sarahann1978's response:
The American Academy of Pediatrics states, "Toddlers should remain rear-facing in a convertible car seat until they have reached the maximum height and weight recommended for the model, or at least the age of 2."

Also, along the lines of development, check out this link.
http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/safety-benefits/ It talks about body proportions and when the spinal cord fuses (which is between 3 and 6 years old). I used to have a link to the pictures and a better article but I can't find it.

And I think you're right ---- those that still FR are a bit passionate about it! I know I am. I want to inform people about it so they can make the best decsion for their family. I first heard about it here on these boards. Good luck with your decision!
Me (31) DH (33) and our beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

tamliz08 responded:
I turned my DD to FF at 16 months. She's a big girl, and I just thought we would all be more comfortable that way. I knew that when our LO is born here in a couple months, her carseat would no longer work RF in our vehicle, so that helped with the decision.

I live in a really small town, and we don't take her far very often. I'm sure I would have pushed the extended RF thing if we were driving in a larger city with crazy traffic and freeways. The speed limit in our town is 30mph on the main road, and her babysitter is only like 5 houses down from us, so I didn't feel the need to stress over it too much!

Now that I'm more knowledgable about this sort of thing though, it helps with the baby items that I purchase. I bought a new carseat for LO and I made SURE that it would work for RF in our vehicle for a good long while.

Good luck with whatever you decide! I will tell you though... I thought it would be easier to get DD in and out of her carseat if I switched it to FF, but I was very wrong!!!
DD 11/19/08 - DS EDD 9/1/10

magsnemma replied to sarahann1978's response:
I did turn my DD FF at about 15 months. All she did was cry and scream in the car seat when she was RF. I hated going anywhere with her because it seemed so stressful for her (and me). So I turned her around to see what she would do and she is a lot happier and evens asks to go bye-bye now. She still gets whiny and cries sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad now.

Yes, I felt guilty about turning her before age 2. I understand that there is an increased risk if we were to get in a car accident, I've read some horrible stories about it. I could justify it by saying that she is tall for her age and was approaching the height limits (which is true), but in all honesty and in my case only, I just decided that the distraction created by the screaming (while RF) was dangerous too.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me-Jill (33), DH (37), and Miss Sarah (21 mos). She is amazing and I am so proud to be her momma.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.