Skip to content
pink eye questions
mommyof3kiddos posted:
Last night I was convinced DD has pink eye. She didn't take a regular nap yesterday so she took a quick snooze before dinner. When she got up she had some green goop in the corner of her eye. Then five minutes later she had more again. So then we put her to bed and about an hour later she was fussy. I went in and she had the same nasty green goop lining the entire bottom lid of her eye. I wiped it off and her eye was a bit pink but I didn't know if it was from me wiping it or just that way. I laid her back down. About a half hr later I went to check and no goop but her eye was pink and the whole eye area was puffy. When she got up this morning there isn't any goop. It looks more like clear and watery. Her eye is still a pink but not like last night. And it's not really puffy as it was last night.

I am thinking she still needs to go in. My eyes are really itchy, watery, and when I woke up felt quite goopy myself. Mine is all watery goop not the nasty green stuff. The kids had sore throat and coughs last week and passed it to me and DH this week. We are miserable. Thankfully DS and DD1 are feeling better. But DD2 still is coughing and has a runny nose. It's clear though. I feel goofy rushing her off to the pedi and it be nothing. But I am also three weeks (or possibly sooner) away from having the babies and I don't want to put things off either.

So my question....for those of you that recently dealt with pink eye does this sound like it? Or maybe just irritation from being sick? Would you take them in???

mommyof3kiddos responded:
I just called the pedi and the lady is going to have the nurse call me before we make a trip in.

momtobegrunden responded:
DS and I have been passing pink eye back and forth for the last couple of months. We just got done with round four! The sure way to tell if it is pink eye is to pull out her bottom eyelid and see if the tissue inside is red and irritated.

Do either of you suffer from allergies? They can also cause a type of pink eye that's not bacterial or viral. I'm beginning to wonder if that's what DS's problem is (and mine!). We just can't seem to kick it even after lots of disinfecting and eye drops. And the discharge is always worse when allergens are high in the area.

If you think it's pink eye, I would certainly go in. You don't want to give it to your new LO's!
Me(29). DH(40). DSD(14). DSS(9). DS1(20 months). DS2 EDD 10/4/10!

mommyof3kiddos replied to momtobegrunden's response:
I looked at her eye while I was changing her diaper and it is still pink. It's the lid area that is the pink part. The whites are slightly pink but not like around the rim area. I know I shouldn't but right now she is still playing with the other kids. I am going to wait to see what the pedi office has to say. Then later today while she is napping disinfect all the toys (since all the kids basically share toys) and wash all the bedding.

alliegirl77 responded:
Sounds like pink eye to me after having just gotten over that. My LO's eyes would stick together in the morning with all the goo. The best thing we did was use a Boric Acid wash which sounds horrible but it works. Boil 2 cups of water and put 1 heaping tablespoon of Boric Acid (you can find it at any drug store) in and stir until disolved. Cool it down and then using a cotton ball dip it in the cooled liquid and rub it over your LO's eye. Use a new cotton ball for each eye and wipe twice so you are using 4 cotton balls total.

Do this for as long as it takes 2 times a day. It cleared Sarah's up MUCH faster when we did this trick. The first time she had it for about 4 days. The 2nd time it was cleared up in about 2 using this trick.

The other thing is wash your hands, wash LO's hands, wash DH's hands, etc. That is how it's spread. It's like a cold. If you get it on your hands and then touch your eyes...you probably will get it. We washed hands ALL the time when she had it and none of us ended up getting it. Good luck!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
It's pink eye. The pedi checked her over and said she definately has a virus. Her throat was all red too. I told the doctor how the other two (and myself) have all have been sick with sore throats. She did a strep test just to be sure and thankfully it came back negative. She gave us some eye drops to use. She said I could use them with the other two if they get it. She said it spreads like wildfire so make sure to wash our hands and keep things wiped off. So here we go. I just laid DD down for a nap so I am going to go in the DS and DD1's room (where we keep all the toys) and wipe everything off. I will try to keep an eye on what she plays with during the day so I can wipe it off at the end of the day too. UGH Like I need one more flippin thing to do right now!

Oh something that doesn't make sense to me....I asked her if I were to get it if I need to call my doctor for drops and she said it wasn't necessary since it was viral that it wouldn't help. Um, so then why am I putting drops in DD's eyes? I didn't think about that until after we left.

mommyof3kiddos replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
I just looked up on webmd and found an answer to my question. The doctor said it's viral and according to webmd it's not something that is treated with antibiotics or meds and has to run it's course. It takes 1-2 weeks!!! Great so that puts us really close to when the babies will be here! This sucks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Katie (35), married to Randy, and a SAHM of 4 beautiful children. Ella, Owen, Connor, Lilly. We live in Colorado. I came here originally for inf...More

Helpful Tips

Sunblock Expiration
Just an FYI/reminder: sunblock does expire! Some even only last a few months. So, if you're planning to use left overs from last season, it ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.