Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Adventures in Traveling
simerlm posted:
I've been MIA for the last couple of weeks because I'm visiting my in-laws in Washington. I just thought I would share my traveling experiences with you all since this kind of discussion seems to come up a lot.

In preparation for our trip, I packed 6 different kinds of snacks. Aly is a grazer, so I wanted to be prepared. Then I packed tons of little toys for her to play with. I had a little magna doodle and a coloring book and crayons also.

On the drive to the airport, she fell asleep. I didn't use any of my things that I packed.

To get through the airport security, it was a snap. They took us through the family line. The only thing I had to take out was my older kids' portable dvd player. We all wore flip flops, so taking shoes off and putting them back on was quick and easy.

Our first airplane ride was an hour. We got on the plane and the only thing Aly wanted to play with was the sky mall magazine. She kept looking at it and turning the pages for the whole trip. She found a dog in there and just kept saying, "Arf! Arf!" Then, two minutes before landing, she fell asleep. I was a little weirded out, thinking about how many dirty fingers had touched the magazine, but I got over it. So, again, I used nothing that I packed.

Our last flight was 4.5 hours. Aly colored for a couple of minutes with the coloring book and crayons. Then she went to sleep for the rest of the flight.

We had a three hour drive to get to our destination. She ate snacks and looked out the window the entire time. She saw some water and that's what she said for the rest of the trip. Water! Water!

So, I just wanted to say that traveling with your little ones can be easier than you think! I was nervous about traveling with Aly because she can be a very high maintenance little girl! I had visions of screaming and other passengers hating me. I still have the trip home in a couple of weeks with three kids all by myself. But I am a lot more confident about it!

And on another note, Aly is finally sleeping throught the night without waking up to nurse!!!!!! Yep, I'm pretty excited about that!
Misty(30) DH(32) Handsome DS(9)Princess DD1(7)Preemie DD2(21 months)

roni090909 responded:
I totally agree with you. DS has been on many flights and only one time has he been that screaming kid on the plane and that was because he was tired. I think we as parents tend to freak out a little more then our kids do.
Me (30) DH (37) DS born 10/20/08 New Little Girl due 11/11/10

katieb426 responded:
You can also give yourself a little credit for being such a super mama, Misty!

We only let each kid take one toy, one lovey, and one blankie on our road trip (16hrs) this summer and they did great. We did have a dvd player, but lots of time they just looked out the windows, chatted with each other, or slept. Lilly was the most interested in practicing taking her shoes off and putting them back on. Honestly, less is often more.

Hooray for Aly sleeping through the night! That must feel really good to you. Is she still doing therapy? How is that going?

How are your kidneys? I've been thinking about you a lot lately!
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly 22 months

simerlm replied to katieb426's response:
Thanks, Katie! I'm always overprepared. I take way too much stuff all the time. I can't seem to stop myself. LOL

Aly is still doing therapy. Well, when we are at home she is. They have decided that she will probably be discharged in September. Her therapist will do a little mini evaluation when we get home. But she is doing really awesome. She is starting to use two and three word sentences now. I feel proud and sad all at the same time. My baby is growing up! She'll be two in less than a month!

My kidneys are doing good. After the blasting, it was very painful for a little while. After I got my stent out, I felt 100% better. I am kidney stone free for now. I hope I never get another, but odds are that I will.

Thank you so much for thinking about me! I've been thinking about you too. How is Lilly doing? Has she got her new therapist yet? How's life? I'm glad your trip went well!

katieb426 replied to simerlm's response:
Yay Aly! That is great news that she is doing so well. I completely understand feeling a little sad about it too. I have a feeling Lilly is coming to the end of her therapy in the next few months too. It's a relief, but also a little sad to see her so grown up. She's a great walker now. There are still some issues with her left side, but they are slowly working themselves out. The new therapist officially starts next week. She seems super busy and isn't sure when she can fit us in, so that makes me a little concerned. I'm just hopeful it will work out.

Be sure to take care of yourself, Misty. You're poor body must have gone through so much!
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly 22 months

magsnemma responded:
Out of curiosity, did you take a stroller with you? I've heard yes and no. We're taking a trip soon and am debating. The only time I think we'd use it is in the airport. But it is a huge airport.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

roni090909 replied to magsnemma's response:
You definitely want a stroller. I can't imagine navigating the airport without it.
Me (30) DH (37) DS born 10/20/08 New Little Girl due 11/11/10

daisy729 replied to roni090909's response:
Agreed.

We had to switch planes when we traveled and it was really nice to have the stroller. Even if you decide to let your LO walk around, you can throw your bags and what nots into the stroller so your hands are free. And it's easy to check, you just get to the gate, tell the person at the counter you need to gate check your stroller, they put a tag on it, give you a redeem ticket and they take it under the plane. It will be outside the door of the plane when you get off.

If I traveled with DS again (which I swore I wouldn't do for a long while), I will still take the stroller. He can walk, but people in the airport don't pay attention and I would be afraid they would just walk into him. And, at 30 lbs, I'm not carrying that kid everywhere

alisonmai responded:
Congrats on such a smooth trip!!! I just booked a trip for me and my LO and am dreading it - hoping it goes as smooth as yours! I flew with her several times before she was fully mobile, but now i'm just trying to imagine her in one space for 5 hours....eek! Thankfully our flight looks pretty empty right now...and DD is a people watcher, and you can't get better people watching than at the airport

LOL and I finally understand why people put their kids in those backpacks with a "leash" on it...used to not like those and now I'm thinking hmmmm where do you get those?

jlc78 responded:
Sound like you had a great trip! I've been wondering where you disappeared to, lol! And even better --- sleeping through the night!!!!! YAY!
Me (31) DH (33) and our beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

simerlm replied to magsnemma's response:
I think that the stroller is a necessity! I didn't have mine this time because I left it here back in January. Bad move on my part, but at least I remembered all my kids, right? LOL I just take the umbrella stroller. I can hang my purse on the handles and we travel much faster that way. This time, Aly fell asleep and I had to carry her through the airport. It was about a 20 minute walk with a backpack on my back, carrying my purse, diaper bag and Aly. It was exhausting. I will not forget my stroller this time!!! (at least I hope not...lol)

simerlm replied to katieb426's response:
I hope that your new therapist is able to give you the time that you and Lilly need. Keep me updated!

simerlm replied to jlc78's response:
Thanks, jamie. I knew you would appreciate the sleeping through the night bit. LOL

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM/In-home daycare provider. It's going to be a crazy summer! I will have a 6 month old, three boys all around 2 years old, a 6 year old,...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.