Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
i must be crazy....travel w/toddler
alisonmai posted:
okay ladies! I'm about to take my LO on a trip that involves a 6 hour plane ride + airport time and then a 2 hour drive once we land....EEEK! This was SOOOO much easier when she was little!

QUESTION 1:
Anyone have some tips? Have you traveled with your LO lately?

I know we'll get through it...just would like to make it easier on both of us...I didn't buy her a seat as the plane is barely half full...so assuming she will get one...

I have toys, i pod, dvd player yada yada yada....will say my favorite quiet toy lately that will be going with us is an Iplay Peek A Boo bag...she LOVES it...

QUESTION 2:
Anyone ever gone out of country with your LO without your spouse? I have heard it can be tricky....she has a passport and I have a notarized letter from DH stating its okay to travel across border with her and not him....Its a bit of a pain but i understand...

mamabrat05 responded:
We just traveled a few weeks ago. We drove from FL to PA...i think its like 20hrs if we would have drove straight through. It wasnt too bad. They did awesome on the way...we did like 12hrs on the first day. We had toys, portable dvd player and what not. And it sounds like you have that covered... i think at this age you just gotta plan for the worse...especially with flying since they have delays and 6hrs is a pretty long flight. But you can do it!!! I think just keeping her occupied will be this biggest thing. Where you headed??? Good Luck!!!
Me(23) DH(23) DD(4)-47.4lbs 42 1/4in DS(18 months)-25.6lbs 31 1/4in born via emergency c-section.

roni090909 responded:
For the plane travel: Have lots of snacks. I always bring snack cups with cheerios, grapes, blueberries, etc in it. I feed DS one of these during take off and landing. When they have to sit still. I also brought toys and books but never needed them. I have heard someone say get a box of bandaids and let her play with it. I haven't tried this yet but I am sure it would keep DS entertained for a while. Also, make sure you bring a stroller. When you are waiting for the plane try to find an area that she can run around a bit in. Even if its just climbing up and down seats, this will help burn off some of the energy.

Since you didn't buy her, her own seat. See if you can upgrade to 1st class or ask if they have any extra seats if you can move to them. Also ask if you can board with Priority class.

Try to relax I travel with DS all the time by myself and for the most part he is very well behaved. Only one time has he been that annoying kid on the plane and even then know one complained. I really think its more stressful on us then them.
Me (30) DH (37) DS born 10/20/08 New Little Girl due 11/11/10

alliegirl77 responded:
Heading to Canada?

Alright, as you know I am not as brave as you my friend so no, haven't flown with LO yet but here are a few items that Sarah is loving right now for longer car rides and times where I need her to settle down and not run non-stop.

1. Etch-a-sketch
2. stickers
3. crayons/coloring books or color wonder markers/books
4. any bag that has items in it that she can pull in and out over and over again - sorting type activities.

So those are my ideas. I like Roni's with the snacks during take off/landing. that should help her ears not pop so much too.

Good luck, safe travels and have a GREAT time!

earleyml1012 replied to alliegirl77's response:
I agree with Allie on her list of suggestions. Also try to sit at the window. My DD loved opening and closing the window cover thing. She also enjoyed playing peek-a-boo with the ladies behind us, so you might luck out and have nice people who keep her entertained too! I didn't fly alone but I was surprised at how well DD behaved. Oh, try to schedule her nap around flying too. That should help!

Good luck and have fun!
Me Michelle (27) DH Chris (27) DD Alexandra 12-6-08 Furbaby Zoe (3 yr lab mix)

magsnemma responded:
We just flew (not a long flight though) last week and I can tell you what we experienced. We flew from Las Vegas to a small airport in Oregon and then back to Vegas.

The box of bandaids works pretty well. DD didn't play with the bandaid part, just pulled them out and put them back in. Stickers work really well too, we were all covered in them by the end of the flight. We tried the Color Wonder markers and they were sort of a bust. I don't know whether we got a dud, but DH and I both had to press really hard to get them to work. DD really liked playing with the diaper bag, again pulling stuff out and putting it back in. You can also take a full sippy cup through security now too, so you don't have to buy a separate drink for your LO.

We ran into some trouble at the small airport when we tried to gate-check the car seat. I wanted to gate check because it's less stress on the seat, and also because when we arrived in Oregon, the airline lost someone else's car seat, which is my nightmare.

What helped me is remembering what other people on this board have said. It really doesn't have to be a big deal, just try to make it fun for your LO. I am a stresser, so relaxing helped a lot. Oh, and make friends with the crew, they helped us by making sure the seat next to us stayed empty.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

Juniorsmama responded:
We have not flown but last summer my mother and I drove 11 hours with DS and my niece whom were both only 9 months old. I think the fear and worry we have about the trip only makes things worse. Try to stay calm. And all of the advise about taking little activites and snacks are great and oh so true! It takes us 2 hours to drive to DS ENT doctor and we have had to go each week for the last month. I have used previous posts on travel even though it is not really that long and they have worked wonderfully.

alisonmai replied to Juniorsmama's response:
Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the trip (traveling aside)...not too worried but thankful for the advice! We will get there when we get there My LO is such a people watcher that that in itself should provide a lot of entertainment.

The fun part is going to be that she is potty training and sadly I've been going SLOW because I know this trip is coming up and she won't have any part of it....wants big girl panties, and toilets! boo hoo right? lol....I just envision myself being half way through security and having her yell 'I gotta go potty!!!' LOL prob not the first time they have heard that and if so certainly not the last...

Bring on the fun! Headed to British Columbia for my mom's family reunion and I don't care how hard the trip is - having my LO there for my oh so proud mom to show off will be worth it!

Here goes nothing!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, old as dirt, DH, older than dirt, LOL, and THREE beautiful girls!!!!!!

Helpful Tips

Sunblock Expiration
Just an FYI/reminder: sunblock does expire! Some even only last a few months. So, if you're planning to use left overs from last season, it ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.