Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tubes here we come......
Juniorsmama posted:
DS is having tubes placed in his ears tomorrow morning. I was wondering if any of you ladies have had any experience with the tubes or the experience in general. DS is not allowed to eat or drink and we have a 2 hour drive to the ENT surgical center. Oh joy!

roni090909 responded:
I hope everything goes okay. I don't have any experience but what I heard about it is that its a super easy procedure and only takes about 10 min. From what other Mommy's say its harder on the Mom then the child.

Anyways I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow and I hope he does good with no food in the morning.
Me (30) DH (37) DS born 10/20/08 New Little Girl due 11/11/10

cyn22mull responded:
Lurking....DS had tubes in December when he was 19 months. We had to be there at 6:30am so the not eating wasnt too big of an issue for us. The procedure only took 10 min or so. It really was a breeze! DS was a bear when he came out of anesthesia, kicking, screaming, didnt want to be held, wouldnt drink. They wanted him to drink something before we left. I thought he was in pain, but the doctor came back in the room and assured us that it was just from the anesthesia. Once we got out in the hallway to leave he was fine. He was back to his normal self that afternoon. Good luck!!!
Cindy (34) DH (36) DS 2

Juniorsmama replied to cyn22mull's response:
I just called and they said we have to be there at 7 am which means we have to leave our house by 5 am so I do not think the eating will be a problem, it is the drinking that worries me. DS asks for a cup upon opening his eyes EVERY morning. Thanks for the advice we shall see!

Juniorsmama replied to roni090909's response:
I think what will be hardest for me is that because I am prego, I am not allowed back there when they put him to sleep. My mom told me that it is probably better that way lol! Thank you for you support though. I will attempt to post an update tomorrow when we get home.

cyn22mull replied to Juniorsmama's response:
If you can let us know tomorrow how it went! It really is not bad at all. And the best thing for us is we havent had an ear infection since!!!
Cindy (34) DH (36) DS 2

alliegirl77 responded:
Sarah had tubes put in last fall. She was right at about 12 months. It was a much easier experience than I had thought. The no eating/drinking was easy actually and I thought that would be the worst part. We kept her distracted with toys, invited gma/gpa to come along for company, the ENT surgi center gave her a bear to play with, etc.

After a long nap when we got home she was like a new child! We have not had any ear infections since. (knock on wood!) It is well worth it and it is most certainly harder on us mommas than the babies. You and DS will do just fine!

Juniorsmama replied to alliegirl77's response:
Thanks alliegirl! I think he will be sleeping anyway. He is a car sleeper anyway and our ride is pretty long so we shall see! Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I hope we become ear infection free as well!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Jen (30), I have a wonderful husband, Chris (32), who is my best friend and soulmate. We have 3 beautiful children Christopher (10), Hunter (10),...More

Helpful Tips

Sunblock Expiration
Just an FYI/reminder: sunblock does expire! Some even only last a few months. So, if you're planning to use left overs from last season, it ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.