Skip to content
Frustrated/upset
mel07430 posted:
DD is my first. I have never experienced the "Terrible 2's" before so I'm sure this is normal but it is so upsetting/frustrating.

I feel like my time with DD in the morning and afterwork is just not fun anymore. She is always crying/wining saying no, not listening and on and on and on.

She wont go in the car seat for us anymore so it is a daily struggle just to go anywhere. She screams, arches her back and puts her feet down. People look at me like I am a terrible mom.

When when when does this age get better? She will be 2 on 8/25. Please do not tell me it will be until she is 3...
Melissa (36) DH (38) We have three angels in Heaven- 9/06, 1/07, 9/07. We have one beautiful daughter who is 18 months old. BFP 3/4/10!!!! Here we go again!!! EDD 11/13/2010 Blue Team!!!!

miob responded:
I don't know since DS is my first, but you're not alone. The whining is getting to me at times. The favorite phrase around my house is 'Use your words, not your whine'. Everything is a battle of wills. Getting dressed, changing diapers, brushing teeth, washing hands - I feel like I've been through the wringer before I've even arrived at work!

DH and I are pretty good about seeing when each other has reached the end of our ropes and take over. It's not constant, but some days are worse than others. Like Saturday, he was great and Sunday he was 'Crabby Patty' as we call him.

Only thing I've figured out so far is to pick my battles. We'll fight over brushing his teeth, but if he insists on taking 2 sand pails in the truck on the way to daycare, 2 sand pails come with us.

Ugh. I'm with you...I'm hoping this stage is temporary...

cduffy responded:
It's so hard, Melissa! DD has just started getting worse and worse with the whining and fits. She does this whine/scream/yell thing when she doesn't get her way, and starts flailing all about. It's...annoying, to say the least. I hope it gets better, but I think it'll guess worse before it gets better. We're all in this together.
Me (32) Proud work-from-home mama to my pretty little pixie (born 09.28.08) and my dashing little dude (born 05.13.10)

katieb426 responded:
Well, if I can offer up my experience, hopefully it will make you feel a little better!

It is just a phase, Melissa. It does get better. They move on to other things (like being a sassy mouth when they can talk more). Honestly, it's a normal part of development. They are asserting new independence and your job is to work on training them to express themselves appropriately. It's not easy.

All of my kids have gone through this with varying degrees and varying lengths of time But I look at my 3 oldest kids and they are really great kids. They are polite, kind, and fun to be around. Ya- we have our battles, but overall they are amazing human beings.

Your sweet little "terror" will outgrow the tantrums. Just be consistent in helping her put words to her feelings and she'll get the hang of it. You're a great mom, Melissa! No doubt you will raise great kids!
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly 22 months

mel07430 responded:
Thanks girls!! I appreciate your input!! It definately made me feel better!!!
Melissa (36) DH (38) We have three angels in Heaven- 9/06, 1/07, 9/07. We have one beautiful daughter who is 18 months old. BFP 3/4/10!!!! Here we go again!!! EDD 11/13/2010 Blue Team!!!!

alliegirl77 responded:
oh boy does that sound familiar! Sarah was just like that around 18 months. She is 22 months now and well it is better - not gone but better. She was testing some serious boundaries around that time. We were consistent, loving in our discipline but firm and she figured out what she was doing was not going to work for anyone.

She still has moments/days where she is just in a nasty little 2 year old mood as I call it but overall she has figured out in a very short time that whining, screaming, throwing a fit, etc will not work to get what she wants. Be strong and yes, it will pass.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me-Jill (33), DH (37), and Miss Sarah (21 mos). She is amazing and I am so proud to be her momma.

Helpful Tips

Straws & restaurants
Well wish I could take credit for this one but I can't. I think i saw it in Parenting magazine. Take a travel toothbrush holder and put ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 37 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.