Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DD melting down with DH
magsnemma posted:
This has happened now for the past few days, but has happened to a lesser degree in the past as well. DD will melt down when I go to take a shower (or whatever) and DH watches her. She really falls apart. I know that separation anxiety could still be happening, she's 20 months old. I am also a WAHM, so she spends most of her time with me, or the babysitter who watches her a few hours a day. But it makes me sad that she won't go near him or have much to do with him. I will admit that he's not the most hands-on dad, but I would guess he's probably like a lot of dads out there.

I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced this? Or is this just the start of the "terrible twos?" I realize that tomorrow she could flip the switch and not want me, but this has been going on to some degree for months.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

jlc78 responded:
DD is very much attached to me as well. She always has been but it seems to have increased over the past few months. DH is very hands on with both kids and that still doesn't stop the melt downs. DS was (and still is) the complete opposite. He is very much attached to DH. It has certainly gotten better with him as he's gotten older but even at the age of 3, he'll still have a melt down for DH every once in a while.
Me (31) DH (33) and our beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

mamabrat05 responded:
DS does this at times. Im a SAHM so DS and DD spend all their time with me pretty much but when DH is home he is spending time with them. He helps with them alot but that doesnt stop DS from freaking out when i walk out the house or take a shower. The meltdowns for DS dont last too long and he usually will adjust to having DH around.
Me(23) DH(23) DD(4)-47.4lbs 42 1/4in DS(18 months)-25.6lbs 31 1/4in born via emergency c-section.

jlynnpaine responded:
My DD is the same way. I have done the majority of her care for her entire life when I am home. She is with my Mom during the day while I'm at work. DH plays with her but rarely bathed her and NEVER put her to bed. We recently talked about it and he has started helping out more because she freaks out so badly when I'm not the one to care for her. She stays home with him on Fridays while I work and she cries so hard when I leave and I feel so bad. In the last couple of weeks that DH has been doing more with her, I have seen a big improvement. Last night he gave her a bath and did the bed time routine. She fussed for a second when they came to tell me goodnight but did not cry which is a first. So there is hope. Is there any way your DH could start spending a little more one on one time with her?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jennifer (41) and DH is Mike (43). We've been married since 7/06. DD is Hannah (9/08). I am a SAHM.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.