Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DS sleep problems
atorres2 posted:
Im hoping someone has had something similar to this that can give me some advice. My son is 19 months old and very recently stopped sleeping through the night. He will wake up screaming like he is scared or in pain and refuses to go back to sleep unless DH or I take him into bed with us (or into the spare bedroom with one of us). I dont know if it is a phase he is going through or if maybe he is reacting to his new bay brother (who is 5 weeks old) or if it is a reaction to food? We have tried to just let him cry it out, but he cried for over an hour last night before we gave in. Should we have let him cry for longer? I am just at a loss for what to do about this, but I dont want him to get in the habit of sleeping with us. Any help, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated!

katieb426 responded:
It could be lots of different things. Like you said, it could be some anxiety with the new baby in the house. It could be something he's watching on t.v. It could be teeth. Usually these things are best solved by the process of elimination.

But take heart, it's a phase! He will get through it. Will he go back to sleep if you just go in and snuggle him a little or pat him on the back until he calms and gets sleepy? Have you tried tylenol (if you think it's teething)? Is he getting enough to eat? If it's a growth spurt, he may need a small snack before bed.

These are just some suggestions. I hope you get some more. Hang in there, mama! This too will pass....
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly 22 months

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn and I live in Boise, Idaho. I came to the boards when I was preggo with my son who is growing SO fast and already 18 months. We have b...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.