Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I get these stains out?
magsnemma posted:
So lately I've been having trouble getting the stains out of DD's clothes. I use the Tide Stain stick and Spray n wash stuff etc, but it seems like if the stain didn't come out after the first wash, it's not coming out ever. I try to pre-treat and stuff, but there are things that get by me too. And I'm really talking about sort of everyday stains, avocado, cherry, grape, etc. Once a week she gets choc ice cream with the baby sitter and that won't come out either.

Does anyone have anything that they use that really works for them?
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

sarahann1978 responded:
You might try Fels Naptha. It comes in the laudry section and looks like a bar of soap. I used it a lot with BFed poop blow outs. Although, one time though I put it on a white onsie and left it until I washed it and it set in and yellowed it, so I switched to just using it as a pre-treating method right before washing.

You might try a laundry booster like Oxyclean or washing soda (not baking soda), especially if you have hard water. You add either of this with your laundry detergent and it helps boost the cleaning power.

mel07430 responded:
I tried Tide with Bleach alternative and it is pretty good. I just got Clorox2 today and I am going to try it now.
Melissa (36) DH (38) We have three angels in Heaven- 9/06, 1/07, 9/07. We have one beautiful daughter who is 18 months old. BFP 3/4/10!!!! Here we go again!!! EDD 11/13/2010 Blue Team!!!!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
OxyClean is amazing. At least I think so! When I was pregnant with my third child I used it to get out old formula stains out of my second child's baby clothes. I use the OxyClean powder. I like to add a scoop when I wash the kid's clothes. For really hard stains (wash/dried already) I will make a paste. I put a scoop of OxyClean and add just a little water to make a paste. Then I put it on the stain and let it sit about 10-15mins. Then I wash everything with a scoop of OxyClean. Usually eveything comes out! I have even gotten grease stains out of my shirts this way!

alliegirl77 responded:
If the stain doesn't come out the first wash don't dry it. soak it in some oxyclean and water solution for a while and then wash again. I can get most stains out with this method.

magsnemma responded:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I feel like I've tried every stain removal product out there and unless I catch stains before I wash, they aren't coming out. My MIL also just visited and tried to be nice by doing laundry and ended up drying some of DD's stained shirts. Oh well, I guess those are playground clothes now.
I'm trying the OxyClean paste now so hopefully I have some luck. I soaked a bunch of DD's clothes overnight with Oxyclean but it didn't really work. Honestly the one thing that's been working is sticking the clothes out in the sun and bleaching them that way. Everything fades, so I try to only use that with lighter colors.

Sarahann1978, do you happen to know much about hard water? I saw your post and wondered. We have really hard water here and I'm wondering if that's why I'm struggling. Got a water softener but the water is still harder here than anywhere else I've ever lived.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008).

sarahann1978 replied to magsnemma's response:
Ah, from our other discussion, I understand why you have such hard water!

The thing that I know about hard water and washing is that the minerals in the water react with the detergent/soap and then there is not enough to get the job done for the laundry. The boosters help react out the minerals to help give the soap/detergent a better chance of cleaning the laundry. I would say try the washing soda or oxyclean, or try adding more detergent.

Ryannbaby replied to sarahann1978's response:
Dawn dish soap!! The stuff is amazing!! Gets everything out!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me-Jill (33), DH (37), and Miss Sarah (21 mos). She is amazing and I am so proud to be her momma.

Helpful Tips

Straws & restaurants
Well wish I could take credit for this one but I can't. I think i saw it in Parenting magazine. Take a travel toothbrush holder and put ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 37 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.