Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Humping??
Ryannbaby posted:
Are any of your little ones humping? Isabella has been doing it for about a month or so. She will do it just before bed, and only with her special bear that we can absolutely NOT take away from her without a complete meltdown. She needs it to sleep. If she was doing it to anything else, this would be easy to fix ... but as I said, we just can't take it away. Her pedi said it's very normal, and if she continues to do it at the age where she can comprehend what we tell her, that we need to explain to her that what she is doing is private and she needs to go into her bedroom to do it. Not like she's being punished, just so that she knows it isn't acceptable for her to do in public. I'd hate to see it continue on that long! I was thinking last night, this is such a routine that she has - doing it before bed - what if it continues on for years?? Is anyone else's LOs doing this??

roni090909 responded:
I have no experience with this but I couldn't help but laugh sorry.

I would think its normal. It just like boys playing with themselves. Really I don't think you can explain it to her at this point. I think you just have to hope she doesn't start doing it in public.
Me (30) DH (37) DS born 10/20/08 New Little Girl due 11/11/10

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking...

My DS1 who is six started it at around this age. He still does it to this day but only with his bear from when he was little. He doesn't do it as often maybe a couple times a month that I know about but we had to have the same conversation that this is something that you do in the privacy of your bedroom. When he was younger I couldn't find a reason why he did it. Now it seems that he humps when he has been stressed or worried about something that day. My other LO's don't do this.

Ryannbaby replied to sarah0323's response:
She will only do it when she is tired. Sometimes before naps, but always before bed. I just kinda let her have at it till she tires herself out lol. I don't know what else to do? I guess there isn't anything since she doesn't understand yet, and I cannot take away her bear.

sarah0323 replied to Ryannbaby's response:
That is the same with us. We can't take away his bear. He still sleeps with it. I'd personally just let her and when she's ready she'll outgrow it.

L_Chelle responded:
OMG.......one of my girls does this but not with a stuffed animal. She just kind of grinds herself on the matress. She used to do it a lot where ever she felt like it, now its just in the bed at night. I have no idea why she does this but I am a little disturbed by it, even though I know it's not sexual to her. I never make a big deal out of it to her, I usually just tell her to stop and then go on about my business. I don't even know if it's possible at their age but what if she makes herself climax from all the friction???? What do I do then? I'm going to talk to their pedi about this at their 2y check up. I'm so glad other people have experienced this. I thought she would grow out of it but this has been going on for over 6 months now. Her twin sister doesn't do this at all.

Ryannbaby replied to L_Chelle's response:
I wonder about climax too!!! OMG, could you even imagine?!? I'd die! I'm sure your pedi will tell you exactly what mine did ... but you're right, it's very awkward! DD is only 16 months old, so she has no clue and there is no reasoning with her ... but I just wish it would stop. She doesn't do it any other time, or with anything else. Well, actually I have attempted to take the bear away and she just continues on with her hands!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn and I live in Boise, Idaho. I came to the boards when I was preggo with my son who is growing SO fast and already 18 months. We have b...More

Helpful Tips

Sunblock Expiration
Just an FYI/reminder: sunblock does expire! Some even only last a few months. So, if you're planning to use left overs from last season, it ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.