Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
UNDER SIZED CHILDREN
GRANDHAPPY posted:
MY GRANDSON IS 20 MONTHS OLD WEIGHS 17.5 POUNDS AND 23 INCHES TALL, WALKS AND DEVELOPMENTS ALL APPEAR NORMAL, INTERACTS AND PLAYS WELL. TEST IN LOCAL HOSPITAL SHOWS NO PROBLEMS. MY CONCERN IS THE SMALL STATURE, NO SIGNS OF DWARFISM, UNLESS IT IS PROPORTIONAL. IS THERE REASON FOR CONCERN?[br>

bhodges0712 responded:
My son is the EXACT same way. The only thing that has helped him put on weight is Pediasure (with fiber). He was 17.5 pounds from about 15 months to about 21 months. He will be 2 in November. It's helped him put on weight so maybe it'll help your grandson as well.

BabyTalkinLisaLand responded:
Some people are just short. My daughter is 20 months old and she is under her ratio according to some chart her doctor shows me. She's short like her daddy, hes 5' 4". They constantly talk about her weight and health concerns but I don't worry about it. If your child is acting normal, then his body size is not going to stop him from his accomplishments. My daughter is little but climbs like she's a giant.

candi352 responded:
My daughter is 18 months and she is only 16 lbs. I'm worried too because she hardly eats. She is really picky, but so active.

mamma800 replied to candi352's response:
my 2 yr old had the same problem he was a preemie and they put him on the g-tube there are up sides and downsides to it. he is happier and it finally gave him the muscle tone to move more, he is crawling now and really wanting to walk.
the downside is that he stopped wanting to eat by mouth because he's always full, we are having to take him to an OT to get him eating by mouth again. sometimes the tube comes out and makes a mess (we have had to change his sheets and him frequently)

candi352 replied to mamma800's response:
My daughter is now 2 and still a picky eater. She weighs 20 lbs now. She starts her feeding therapy sessions today. I hope this works.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

Straws & restaurants
Well wish I could take credit for this one but I can't. I think i saw it in Parenting magazine. Take a travel toothbrush holder and put ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 37 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.