Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    I need A 2nd opinion
    LostAndInNeedOfHelp posted:
    When I was 16 I had my period for 6 months straight ( I'm anemic).
    My mom finally took me to the obgyn who I still see every 6 months now ( I'm 23 now). His answer to this abnormality was my anxiety was not letting my wall heal up to stop bleeding his treatment , birthcontrol and anxiety medicine. Now anxiety I do have, but I'm older now and I believe I have learned to control that. Anyways since age 16 I've been on probably every single birth control known to woman and I'm tired of it truely I absolutely hate how the hormones make me feel they make me crazy. Now I believe there maybe an underlying issue that he hasn't checked for I did have an ultra sound at 16 that was clear BUT at 19 was hospitalized for 2 weeks ( I couldn't walk from the pain of the 15 cysts on my right ovary) again his treatment ( Birthcontrol). Now I've taken myself off of the birthcontrol 4 days ago completely and only take my anxiety meds when absolutely needed. This period I'm having now is very much resembling before it's very heavy and doesn't seem to let up at all.. By the way I forgot in 2009 I stopped taking the birthcontrol as well , I had my period for 3 months again I didnt really think to much of it due to the abnormality of it all these years ( none of the birthcontrols NEVER EVER regulated me ) anyways I ended up getting sent home from welding school for passing out in class , and my hemoglobin had dropped to I believe a 6 so I was flown home and sent to the er , Iron pills only brought it up about to a 7. I'm so lost I want to have kids one day and I'm scared I won't be abel to I'm not sure what to do.. Someone please help because I think my doctor is clueless.....
    hillsm responded:
    I have a very similiar situation to yours minus the cysts. I have been abnormal since I've started my period at age 13. As I have gotten older ( I am 28 now) it has gotten worse, alot worse! Sometimes I would never stop bleeding and would have blood clots so large that my doctor would not even believe me. My doctor ordered almost ever test he could to find out what was wrong with me and everything was negative, just a case of hormones he said. I tried every birthcontrol and was so frustrated because it was only making things worse. He asked me to try 1 more and it worked the first day I took it. It was Ortho-Novum 1/35 ( its different from Ortho-Tricyclin). I still have breakthrough bleeding when I have high anxiety, but for the most part it works! I know everyone's body is different and reacts differntly to medications but I thought if you hadn't tried it yet maybe you should. Also iron supplements did not work for me either and I had to get iron iv infusions. Its a pain in the butt, but it worked and kept me from having to have a blood transfusion.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Im 17 years old and ive had my period for 18 days know and its the first time that it has happend i need help im scared :( :'(

    More Members

    There are no other member stories at this time

    Helpful Tips
    Ambrosia Skin Renewal Cream While we all know, stretch mark ointments are classified as the safest and also useful solution to prevent and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.