Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My 12 year old son
12patriotfan posted:
Hi,

I have a question. My 12 year old son does well in school but his behavior at home drives me nuts (and his father, sister and brother). He can't sit still. He does not always pay attention to things. I talked to the nurse at his school to have his teachers fill out the Connor's scale. I have not had any complaints from his teachers directly but when I ask my son if they have complained he said some of them do some times. My other two kids are ADD/ADHD. My son did have 4 A's and 3 B's in the beginning of school. Now he has all B's which I know is not bad and I do not expect straight A's but now I'm beginning to wonder if he can't focus or pay attn. So I'm not sure if he even has ADHD. He scored advanced on our state testing in math and reading but he is so hyper at home. Anyway, sorry to be rambling but is it a waste of time to have his teachers fill out the Connor scale and is he just being a 12 year old boy?

Please let me know. Thanks.

TrudyGERD responded:
Is he having any difficulties in school or is he simply driving you nuts at home? If this is only a home issue then I really wouldn't start looking into ADHD. I'd focus more on engaging him in extra curricular sports or activities that interest him and burn energy.

12patriotfan responded:
Thank you. He's starting to have teachers telling him to be quiet and pay attention. He got lunch detention twice this week. His grades have slipped slightly. He does play on a football team and he will be playing basketball when football is finished. So he does keep busy.

vthomas159 responded:
I have question. My 12 year old son has been having problems since the 2nd grade . his father always knew it was something going on ,but I didn't believe it. He has trouble staying on task at home and at school . he has trouble focusing and comprehension on things. His teachers says his mind be wondering a lot. he forget alot what what he suppose to be doing and the things he has read . the teachers says has 2nd grade reading level .he has been going to different program to help him. And we have been spending time with him and talking to him to see what going on. what should we do for our son.

Victoria

teeny79 responded:
victoria, the first step is to take your son to a child psychiatrist. Your son will be evaluated to see what is going on and if he does indeed have a problem the psychiatrist will be able to tell you what needs to be done next for your son.

If there isn't anything they can do for him they will tell you that also. Psychiatrists only want what is best for our children and therefore won't medicate when it isn't necessary. They will tell you if they think it is just behavioral or if it is something he will require further treatment for.

teeny79 responded:
12patriotfan,

If YOU think there is something wrong you may be right. I know what you mean about b's not being bad grades but still they are falling. When my daughters grades go down a little i know it is time to change something in her routine. She does have adhd and is on medication so i take it as a sign that maybe it is time for a dosage increase when i notice she is starting to ever so slowly slip in school again.

My advice is this: if you notice a problem you should have him evaluated because it doesn't hurt to catch the problem before it snowballs, once it snowballs he will have a much harder time trying to catch up.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.