Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weekends off and taking Adderall??
dcs12345 posted:
My 10 yr old son started Adderall last week. He took it Mon-Fri for school and had a great week. No real side effects. We did notice a decrease in appetitie but that's about it. We dont, necessarily, want him on it everyday. Can we take him off of it for the weekends? Ive been told that for school vacations/breaks it's ok but I am wondering if the on/off of week days to weekends is too much for his system??? Thanks, dcs12345

Boyzmomee responded:
Ok, I used to take my son off med on weekends. I was able to find a child psychiatrist I trust who asked me why I didn't give it to him on weekends. My answers were the same as yours. I can't remember his exact answer but he told me the research demonstrated that is was not in his best interests to have 5 days on 2 days off.

My son does not take medication on summer vacation with the approval of his doctor. However, I must qualify this by saying my son does not have difficulty with social interaction, peer rejection, or aggression. We also have a high tolerance level for his hyperactivity so he is not constantly being reprimanded and receiving negative feedback from us or others. Another thing to consider is that a lot of social and emotional development takes place out of the classroom.

I would discuss this with your son's doctor.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.