Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
my adderal(20mg.xr.) doesn't last..
savvy24 posted:
at first i was on ritalin, but it made me so tired so i was put on adderal 20mg. xr. one time a day. my problem is it only lasts for 4-5 hours, is this suppost to happen? and has anyone else ever had or does have this same problem? what should i do? and what should i tell my dr. since the ritalin made me tired and the adderall doesnt last like its suppost to i feel like i am running out of options and i love the adderall when it works i feel some what normal!! but i can still tell my add symptoms are still presant but mild. but enought for me not to feel like i did..... i am thinking an increase in the dosage but i dont know!??? i will talk to my doc. i just want to know if this is common, and the other questions i had asked up above here. thank u!!!!!

teeny79 responded:
When a doc prescribes you medication for adhd they usually start you out on the lowest dose and then gradually up the dose as needed. They anticipate needing to up the dose but they start out at the lowest so that you won't end up over medicated. I think when the dose is to low it also shortens the length of time it does work so it is possible that once your dose is increased that it will last and you will notice that your adhd symptoms don't bother you at all.

Don't give up yet this is just the beginning and it does sometimes take a while to figure out the right combination. If you find that your doc isn't willing to listen to what you have to say and refuses to try different meds or up dosages if needed then it is time for you to find someone who will listen. You have the right to feel normal and recieve proper treatment for your adhd.

GingerKohler responded:
Yes, Adderal can do that with some people. I take two doses a day.

ChristophorM responded:
I have the same problem. Talk to your doc about it.

My solution is a combination of things.

I take my meds right before I eat. That seems to help them last longer. If I take them after I eat, they take forever to kick in.

I avoid citrus for a few hours before and after I take my meds because I read somewhere that citric acid can interfere with the meds. I don't know if that's true, but it can't hurt.

I have to force myself to eat regular meals. Left to my own devices, I may forget to eat. The meds don't last very long if I don't eat lunch for example.

Lastly on my docs advice, I take my 40mg in two doses, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. I t typically take 20mg at 9:00am and then 20mg again at 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon.

This has worked VERY well for me because it has nearly eliminated the drop off side effects where I get tired and grouchy for a bit when the meds wear off.

I also get nearly 24 hour coverage because the meds wear off when I'm sleeping (hopefully). I frequently have trouble sleeping with or without Adderall. I actually think the meds help me sleep sometimes because they keep me calm.

Every so often, I have to take a few days off from the meds or they stop working as well. I don't want to increase my dose or change meds. I've found that if I take a little break now and then, my body doesn't seem to develop a tolerance. It also helps me to gauge how well the meds are working compared to my "normal"chaotic mind set.

Apparently, I'm not easy to be around when I'm taking a break from my meds. I've been told that I'm difficult to put it mildly. I'm not sure if it's worse because of Adderall withdrawals, but I suspect it's probably a factor. However, I think it's worth noting the first thing my wife told me when I started on Adderall nearly two years ago, was it made me more friendly and patient.

Personally, I find my ADHD gets on my nerves more now that I know the meds can help. Ignorance is bliss. I always thought I was doing OK before I found out how beneficial the meds can be when they work right. Now I can't stand my own mistakes.

Talk to your doctor about your dose and the timing of your dose. Make sure you follow the directions to be sure your not doing anything that interferes with the meds by mistake.

Oh, make sure you get plenty of sleep. My meds don't work at all if I'm exhausted from being up all night. If I stay up all night, the meds seem to keep me awake, but that's all. They don't work the way they do when I'm well rested. This is probably the most important thing in my experience.

Sleep is crucial.

Good luck.

- Chris

chad1022 responded:
I take two 30 mg pills a day. First one at 6am and second at 2pm. This drug has completely changed my life and basically helped me save my marriage. I could not stay focused and my memory was horrible. So much better know. My only worry is taking so much for such a long period of time and the long term side effects. Going on 8 months of two pills everyday. Hate to miss because it makes such a difference in my everyday life!

I do have trouble sleeping but it worth the trade off to enjoy life more during the day!

ChristophorM responded:
Chad,

Did you get 30mg Adderall XR?

For some reason my pharmacist said they couldn't get that dose, but that was a while ago.

- Chris

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.