Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What are your thoughts on Using Vitamin B12 to treat ADHD in children, Is it safe?
blockcj posted:
My son is 3 1/2 and I am 100% positive he has ADHD. He has seen 2 different pediatricians and they tell me he is just a boy. This is very frustrating to me because I know they are wrong. My son is very hyper, disruptive, impulsive, can't focus on one thing for more than a few mins., very moody, clingy, and he is a bully to my other children. He does not respond to any sort of discipline. However, on the other hand he is also very smart.
I was told that Vitamins B12 and B6 can be used to help treat symptoms of ADHD. Specifically the focusing aspects. I have not tried these supplements, because I'm not sure they don't have side effects. I know they are vitamins and natural, but are they safe? I'm not big on giving medications to children, unless it is completely necessary. Also my son has a heart condition and I've heard as well that some medications can cause issues with that.
My husband also has ADHD and was diagnosed when he was 2. He was pretty out of control as a child. According to my mother inlaw, my son is the spitting image of his father. My husband was put on ritalin and was allergic to it. The Doctor put him on like 4 other meds to replace it. His parents took him of because they thought it was too much. Today he is better, but as he grew he learned to control the ADHD. He still has his moments though.
Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has tried vitamins and if so which ones, how much, and what were the results? I'm at a dead end. He goes to preschool in the fall, I'm sure will help, but just wanted some input. Thanks.

arowea20227 responded:
There's no magic bullet sadly. You are better off looking for behavioral modification opportunities and slowly, over time, teaching him to manage his focus.

wyfie4eva replied to arowea20227's response:
My son ws diagnosed with ADHD @ 5yrs old although he was put on medicine we have tried other things as well. For a while when he was 5-6 yrs old we did add a Vitamin B complex to his diet. It helped boost his meds to make them last longer and when he didnt take his meds it helped him focus more than with just no meds. Now that he is 12 he takes B12 which helps greatly. Feel free to e-mail me and I will pass on the information of the B complex we used for our son. wyfie4eva@gmail.com

wyfie4eva responded:
My son ws diagnosed with ADHD @ 5yrs old although he was put on medicine we have tried other things as well. For a while when he was 5-6 yrs old we did add a Vitamin B complex to his diet. It helped boost his meds to make them last longer and when he didnt take his meds it helped him focus more than with just no meds. Now that he is 12 he takes B12 which helps greatly. Feel free to e-mail me and I will pass on the information of the B complex we used for our son. wyfie4eva@gmail.com

A_Adesman responded:
As a doctor specializing in the evaluation and management of ADHD, I am not aware of any credible study looking at vitamins B-12 or B-6. If you are interested in herbal or nutritional approaches, do some reading about fish oil (inconsistently helpful) or pycnogenol (a very limited literature). In both cases, these treatment are not approved by the FDA and are not likely to be as effective as mainstream treatments. Also, though "natural" in origin, long term safety and effectiveness data are not available.

hearting responded:
Yes, I have taken care of my entire family with natural foods, vitamins, and herbs. To relax, stimulate, and heal the body and mind. There are herbs to help relax and sleep. It has helped tremendously. Because we have, in the family, dealt with emotional issues, bedwetting, constipation, low blood presure, and most importantly low iron. Green tea in pill form has helped, omega fish oil, all vitamins B complexs, D and calcium, E, fruits and vegetables. Liquid ChlorOxgen (green vegetables liquid concentrate) harmless and easy to take several drop in any drink has no real taste. Milk Thistle, for the liver, there are other products to cleanse the liver and other organs.

smithcheryl responded:
Both my kids have ADD my daughter 10 and my son 7. I give my children both the Omega 3 DHA and started giving it to my son because I didn't want him on meds. Turns out that it works on both of them and I have seen a big difference. So I stopped getting the Concerta for my daughter. If you go to your nearest vitamin store they should have something for you. We st arted with Dr. Sears chewables, they taste like candy and come in both acai berry and strawberry. I recommend the strawberr. Great thing about these is they have no side affects and it's great for healthy brain development. Regular meds in my opinion are just a bandaid and the Omega 3 DHAis soooo much better and we've seen such a positive change. My daughter is more impulsive so we're trying bout two times a day of this

Boyzmomee replied to A_Adesman's response:
Thank you Doctor.

Too many people get on the bandwagon for "treatments" that are not effective.

I give my son some fish oil along with medication for ADHD that has worked exceedingly well.

An_244792 responded:
I need help my grandson is very hyper-active,i want to start him on one of the following , he is 8years old it's all natural
valerian super calm or planetary formulas-supporting calm,
focused attention.. help me please

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.