Skip to content
vyvanse vs adderall
miradi posted:
I was put on 30mg of vyvanse.....it worked for the first few days...then it hit me like a mac truck.....and i felt like crap...flu like symptoms ?along with feeling cloudy and alot of pain and aches ....i spoke to my doctor today and he wants to switch me to adderall......i am soo nervous and afraid to go through this again....[br>
I did some research and found that since vyvanse is a new drug.....there is a split reaction to it....I found that people who were on adderall who switched to vyvanse most always went back to adderall....[br>
Im starting a new job soon and dont have time to be ?testing out all these meds.... ? just want some feedback and help from people who have tried both drugs..thanks...

A_Adesman responded:
Vyvanse is a new medication only in the sense that it is a new formulation that provides a new delivery system for an old medication. With respect to side effects, usually the first few days on any stimulant medication are the most difficult (assuming a constant dose) so I wonder if you had a cold or flu for the days that you felt wiped. In any case, it might be better to speak with your doctor about trying a lower dose of Vyvanse since it is likely a longer lasting medicatin than Adderall XR. Other long-acting medications for ADHD are Concerta and Strattera. Strattera may be gentler but may not be quite as effective. It also has to be taken for a month or more before full benefits are seen. The stimulants work right away as long as you are at the correct dose.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.