Skip to content
Positive ADHD Attributes!
Boyzmomee posted:
Ok, we all know the problems of ADHD. How about the positives?

My son is very happy and enthusiastic. I love that about him.

He uses his energy in a positive way. He is almost always agreeable to help anyone and loves to go on new adventures whether it be hiking or traveling.

He wakes up looking forward to each new day and has the energy to expend for lots of activities.

The neighborhood kids love his daily plans for fun. When he is away at camp, they keep knocking at my door hoping he's back.

The camp director and counselors enjoy having him at camp. They want him to work there when he is old enough.

He wants to be a firefighter/paramedic when he grows up (which I think is a perfect career for him.)

Ok, anyone else? If you are an adult w/ ADHD, are there any positives for you?

booberryjuice responded:
I'm a pessimist, but I'll give it a try, since My DD doesnt "like me" right now, and it could be good therapy! :

My 15 year old , DD Is extremely good at art, drawing anime comics (Japanese), she is a great writer of poems, songs , plays, and stories. She is pretty , Sings beautifully, has the ability to be funny and talks allot, she reads well above her years (thanks to me) is pretty confident, I hope she finds the "drive" to do well in life, and use her talents to her advantage.

As an adult (who probably has ADD, but in denial)
I can talk allot (like a professional!) with a good personality,
I can get along with anyone and any social click,
I am talented and crafty,
I am a very good friend,
I can bake real good and love to share my sweets so others can enjoy them.

That was kind-of enlightening , I think we have to remember sometimes that we are (apart from being a mom ,wife etc.) just our own sevles.

Boyzmomee replied to booberryjuice's response:
Thank you for responding!

We all have unique talents, attributes and abilites just as ourselves, apart form any of the roles we assume (parent, spouse, friend, etc.)

I also think there are positive attributes to having ADHD and we need to recognize those as well.

I like to bake too and share. It is fun.

TessMesser responded:
My two sons have loved the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. All the Olympians have ADHD and this helps them each in a unique way. If you son has not seen these books, I would get them and start reading them to him.

People with ADHD are often immature. This is a huge plus as you age because you remain 'kid-like' in your enthusiasm levels.

People with ADHD often have a condition known as 'hyper-focus' where they become totally absorbed in something that they are really interested. This hyper-focus can produce great things.

People with ADHD can have an awe inspiring energy level, channelled properly this can be a tremendous asset.

Properly controlled the impulsiveness of ADHD can instead look like spontaneity which is usually a fun and likable trait.

Tess http://primarilyinattentiveadd.com

Boyzmomee replied to TessMesser's response:
Yes, my son acts as if he is a little younger but you have given it a turn around perspective! He is always up for something new or going and doing something....never a couch potato.

Thanks.

ChristophorM responded:
I was hesitant to post a reply here because I asked a similar question a while back. I wanted to get people thinking about what's good in their lives. I wasn't sure if I'd have anything interesting to contribute. Maybe I do.

For me ADHD is the wrong acronym for my condition. I don't have an Attention Deficit. I have Attention Overload. The only "Disorder" in my life is the way I organize (or not) the stuff in my home and in my head. ADHD has taken me places most people wouldn't want to go and wouldn't appreciate anyway.

ADHD people make lots of mistakes. The actions we take to correct those mistakes are just as likely to lead to more mistakes as they are solutions.

In school, I was disciplined a lot. I met some very interesting people that weren't in my normal classes.

As an adult, I may find myself in the wrong building or arriving on the wrong day only to run into someone I haven't seen in years or discover the incredible statue in the fountain in the lobby of some company I'd never even heard of before.

Sometimes I might take the wrong exit in the middle of the night and find myself sitting at the bar in a Waffle House in the middle of nowhere at 3:00am deep into conversation with an 87 year old man about life and the nature of the universe while I'm waiting for the tire place to open.

Once I met a homeless man at the gas station where I worked and gave him my clean laundry basket and all just so he'd have some decent clothes to wear. He turned out to have some kind of mental problem because he would occasionally march around and salute the gas pumps. He NEVER asked for anything and when I did give him money, he'd buy food. I smiled at him and talked with him every day while I watched my favorite jeans deteriorate into rags. I can say my life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't met him. He was crazy in a nice way and knew some amazing stuff. His view of the world made me think differently.

If I was a "Normal" person who thought things through, I might have snubbed him or been too busy with a "real job" to even notice him. That seems like an empty life to me.

I can't say how many interesting conversations I have had during my years standing in line to pay the electric bill before they shut it off.

I once dialed a wrong number 3 times in a row. The lady who answered thought I was hilarious and we wound up going on a few dates.

Have you ever gotten lost in a conversation and found yourself staring at something on the ground that turned out to be a $20.00 bill that 100 people missed? I have.

Ever think it would be a good idea to jump over the stopped train instead of waiting for it to move then find yourself trying to figure out how to jump from a moving train without breaking anything vital before it gets too fast? I have.

Ever find yourself in the St. Johns river paddling a piece of Styrofoam shaped like a boat motor that you got from the dumpster at a marina after the cheap inflatable pool raft you started out on deflated? I have.

The best part of ADHD to me is the part of me that never really grows up. I'm a 38 year old boy. I watch cartoons because they're more interesting than the news. I draw comics and read them and still like to put Batman stickers on my stuff. I have a good job and a nice house and all of that. I'm a responsible citizen and a good father. I just happen to like the same stuff my 6 year old likes. So we spend lots of time together and I love every minute of it. She's a lot like me. She's smart, funny and has her own unique style and sense of humor. She talks a mile a minute and so do I and we keep each other entertained.

My life hasn't all been easy, but it hasn't been boring and I have a million stories that nobody would ever believe could happen in real life. Well, you can have real life. I'll stay in my ADHD world. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Good luck.

- Chris

DevaDoll replied to ChristophorM's response:
Chris, that was really beautiful and inspiring to read! Thank you for sharing :->. Unfortunately, my ADD (which is mostly inattentive) is much more disordered. However, since being medicated (Adderall xr 25mg per day for the past 4 years) I have been able to not only realize just how disordered my entire thought process was before but also I find that I miss certain aspects of myself like the ability to go from shy and withdrawn one moment to being hyper and talkative the next; I no longer have that disparity. I am now incredibly consistent in my mood and cognitive abilities which is an overall improvement in my every day life but definitely less exciting! Therefore, I would have to say that is the one aspect of my ADD which could be considered a positive.

Boyzmomee replied to ChristophorM's response:
Awesome reply Chris! I never, never would have even thought of that stuff.

I have to add that it makes me very sad hear that you were disciplined a lot as a child.

jhonalvin1122 responded:
Children with ADHD also may struggle with low self-esteem, troubled relationships and poor performance in school. Symptoms sometimes lessen with age. However, some people never completely outgrow their ADHD symptoms. But they can learn strategies to be successful.
While treatment won't cure ADHD, it can help a great deal with symptoms. Treatment typically involves medications and behavioral interventions. Early diagnosis and treatment can make a big difference in outcome.
<a rel="external" href="hhttp://healthncare.info/cognitive-disabilities-treatment// ">
Cognitive Disabilities Treatment</a>

An_257479 responded:
I've been told many times how creative I am. Especially when it comes to problem solving. I have worked with children who have Autism. Currently I work with senior who suffer from Alzheimer's. I have a lot of responsibilities, taking people to Dr apts, giving meds, personal care, safety plans, palliative care. In someways the ADD/ADHD helps me go with the flow. I'm glad to be on medication once again though. Because without it I suffer from a lot low level anxiety which after awhile is so burdensome.

vchatman1989 responded:
Great post!

I actually have previous experience as a counselor. As an educator, I have observed some positive experience with ADHD children. Some children have gotten off medication and doing exceptionally well academically and behaviorally. I have seen differences in these children when they play sports, which is a good thing because they stay active.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love @business@home@marriage@inter caste@vashikaran@problem solution baba ji +91-9815934087
@india best astrologer +91-9815934087 1. Business related problems.2. Husband and wife relationship.3. Be free from enemy / 2nd wife 4. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.