Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
adderall vs concerta?
An_191107 posted:
I have just started using Adderall (20 mg) 2x daily and am 40 years old. I also take prestiq and zoloft for anxiety and depression. I have noticed this medicine to be working in the afternoon more-so than in the morning. I know that I am new to this, however, I'm not sure how much of a difference that this is making, all around. Anyone experience and of this. I also have no desire to eat - will this go away or will this stay as long as I am on Adderall? Any info is welcome.

tklawson responded:
A lack of desire to eat is very common with stimulents. SSRI's and selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors can also have some of those side effects. Depression and/or anxiety have many distinctions. Concerta, a long acting drug has a 10-12 Hr. action. Methylphenadate is different than mixed amphetamine salts. Adderall is available in both extended release and regular(4-6 Hr duration) Most MD's now prefer a XL release formula to assure adaquate all-day levels. I prefer to titrate to dose empiracally to prevent insomnia. Discuss the best way w/ the Dr. for appropriate dose and time for YOUR needs.

Andrew Adesman, MD replied to tklawson's response:
You may experience less appetite loss with a long-acting methylphenidate formulation like Concerta. You might also be able to get by with less medication in the afternoon if there is still some of the morning dose working at mid-day. Discuss with your doctor lowering the Adderall tablet to 15mg. You can try this briefly by splitting the Adderall tablets to 3/4 once you have reviewed this with your prescribing clinician. Lastly, perhaps you could take your mid-day dose a little later; this might help your mid-day appetite and it may be more compatible with the current AM dose.

An_191108 responded:
I use an all day concerta, and when I first started it I could feel it kick in within an hour of me taking it, I have no appetite while on it ( I lost 65 pounds in 2 months, oops!) so now I eat a good breakfast before I take it and then pick at trail mix, and fruit throughout the day and eat a big good dinner after it wears off. I did have to cut my dose in half because of the weight loss and insomnia, it's like a happy medium I guess. I don't think as clearly as the full dose, but I am functional enough where I am not worried I am gonna cause a car wreck, or forget a million important things.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.