Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Frustrasted
mommieof20102 posted:
My son is 9 and was dx'ed at 4 with ADHD, he's been all kinds of meds since then nothing lasted long enough, I just wanted to pull my hair out. A couple of months ago we found out that he was also Dx'ed with bipolar, his meds were changed again, he went from 54mg of Concerta and 30 mg of Abilify 15 in the am 15 in the pm,But he was changed to 30mg of Abilify only at night, seen such a big difference for the good, but after a couple of weeks his grades started to go down he was hyper, could finsh school work, forgetting to bring homework home, no focus at all, not concertration, they added the Concerta back and he's having meltdowns again, school still isn't better, moody, mouthy.
I'm just so frustrated and i hate seeing him like this. I don't even know what to do anymore or what meds might help him be better..
He also goes to behavioral counsoling, he has a lot of issues..
He was Dx'ed with EBD" emotional behavioral disorder" he also has global delays...
I just need help and to vent

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

You need some help and guidance here.........

Have you read THE BIPOLAR CHILD book yet ?? I highly recommend it if you have not read it.

I suggest you checking out the online support group
BPKIDS.ORG.
It is full of great information and guidance that you are needing right now.

For a person with a 'mood disorder', stimulant medications are a "no-no" until their mood is stable (even then they can cause havoc) - - so a well versed child psychiatrist is in order. Your son needs a Dr. who will listen to you and knows about mood disorders.

I would call his Dr. today and tell him what is going on - - living this way is torture, and you both need some relief.
My best guess is the Concerta needs to go away until the mood situation is stable and your boy feels better.

I'm sorry for your difficult time right now - I know how awful this can be. Hang in there, and write back anytime for help and/or support!

-Kathleen

TCMG responded:
It sounds like the medications and/or the combinations of medicicines are not helpful.

If you do think you might want to try an approach that doesn't include medication, then please be aware that you could find support and help. Dr. Peter Breggin has authored publications that would be helpful.

There are parents who were outraged when medications were not the answer for them. They found other strategies. They can be found at http://www.ablechild.net/forum/

Oh and here is the main website
http://www.ablechild.net/

There is a doctor who has focused on getting to the root cause of the very real issues. I've never dealt with her, but here is her website
http://www.blockcenter.com/

We did find a way to solve our problems and the answers for us were not found in medication. Maybe, just maybe you might also have the same luck we did.

It is clear that you must focus on finding solutions for the very real problems you have. I hope the highest hopes for you. Just keep reading. Read everything you can. Become fully informed. All will be well.
Take care
TCMG

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.