Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Newbie and wondering about intuniv xr
carolla92 posted:
Hi everyone. I have a 8 yr old ds who was dx'ed with aspergers and most recently ADHD and anxiety. His neurologist put him on Intuniv. He's been on it for 9 days. He started on 1mg and since this past Wed was upped to 2mgs. I have noticed a change in him at home, but his teacher says there has been almost no change at school. Also for the past two days he has been falling asleep early, but still up at night with his anxiety and nightmares. He can't take most stimulants because he has verbal and body ticks. Also his weight is an issue as I just got him up to 50lbs. Does any have any experiece with this meds? His neuro says it usually will take 3 to 4mgs before I'll a big difference. And also the falling asleep in the evening worries me. Was wondering if anyone has had success with giving it at bedtime. It also could be me being a mom that's new to this just needs to be patience. Any info would help. Thanks for listening.

teeny79 responded:
My son just started this med about two weeks ago. He has been on the 2mg dose for a week. I was told this med takes time and i am seeing more and more good things out of my son as time goes on.

According to the info that came with the script, drowsyness was a side effect, it was said to make them drowsy in the evening if taken in the morning. I also know it has to be taken at the same time each day so i wonder if you could even switch the time and then if you did if he would instead be drowsy during the day.

Give it a little more time. You should probably wait until he is on the highest dose and it still isn't working before you want to try him on something different. I would say that you will see some changes soon though. My son's psychiatrist said this medication is good for kids with a lot of anxiety and for us it seems to be bringing good changes in my son.

texasmama45 replied to teeny79's response:
My son has ADHD. We started INTUNIV about a month ago and I cannot say enough good things about it. We started with one 1 md for a week and then went to 2 mg ever since. He takes it only at night due to the drowsiness. We take it about the same time every night, and it lasts about 22-23 hours. With him, it wears off about the same time every night. It doesn't do much for concentration, but OMG, for agression, arguing, hatefullness, bickering, etc., it is a world of difference. He is like a completely different child. But, once it wears off, BOOM, he is immediately his old self again! Crazy. He is going to be 11 in a few weeks. He is skinny already, and is affects his appetite a tiny bit but not too much. This medicine is truly a miracle. I would sell my soul to the devil to get it for him if I had to!! We go to the Dr in 2 days, and I am going to ask to either increase the dose , or switch to the extended release, so that we can knock out the part where it wears off, and I go insane till he falls asleep! In the first 2 weeks
he was pretty sleepy and lethagic, but that part went away right at the 2 week mark, for all you parents who are new users. Don't be afraid to try it, it can be the answer you are looking for! I think that I might ask for a non stimulant to help with concentration once school starts. I don't like meds, but we need help! Good luck to all...

hisdestiny63 replied to texasmama45's response:
Can you guys read my previous post regarding my 7 yr old son? What is this Intuniv? I read your replies and am thinking maybe this is what my son needs to help him. Do you know if Medicaid covers this med? Thanks

abby003 replied to texasmama45's response:
Your son sounds like my 11 year old Was he taking stimulant drugs before? If so, how does his appetite on the new meds compare to before?

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
The majority of kids reportedly need a 3 or 4mg dose per day, and the med may take a week or more to work at a given dose. Sleepiness is a common side effect, so this is something you will have to be miindful of if your doctor recommends a higher dose.

Boyzmomee replied to texasmama45's response:
"I think that I might ask for a non stimulant to help with concentration once school starts."

Intuniv is a non stimulant????

carolla92 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Yes. Intuniv in a non stimulant. It was first given to adults for high blood pressure, but found it helps with ADHD. So if before your child starts they'll have to have an EKG and have their blood pressure checked regulary. I had to take my son off of it becuase it increased his anxiety. I was told this happens if few cases. Of course my son is one of the few.

lma33167 replied to texasmama45's response:
My son is 8 and has ADHD, and has the behaviors you mentioned, and its really taking its toll on myself and husband. Well, many people actually. He argues, disagrees, says things that break my heart, cause he's not a BAD kid. He feels bad when he realizes the magnitude of what he has said or done. He gets into it with kids in the neighborhood, and I really struggle with meds too. Just started Adderall 2 weeks ago, after trying many Homeopathic approaches. I don't know how I feel yet, but will give it more time. I am making a list of meds I would like to consider if we decide to try something new. I guess to read that someone else has the behavior issues was reassuring in a way. He needs the boost for concentration though. Struggles with learning in school and we start next week. I am not a fan of the meds either but feel we need the help too. thanks for the info.

Boyzmomee replied to carolla92's response:
I know this. :<) It was a rectorial question since she said her son was on Intuniv and she wanted to start a "non stimulant."

My son takes Adderall in the am and Clonidine HS. Clonidine is also for high blood pressure but has been used for ADHD off label for years.

momtoj7 responded:
My 11 year old son is starting Intuniv next week. I'm glad to see a few having good results, I was really nervous about it. He has been on Vyvanse for over a year, but we noticed he was having problems swallowing. Took him off and after a week or so, the problems went away.

Also, my sons Doctor said to give him the medication before bedtime.

As far as blood pressure checks, do you do it yourself or take your child to the doctor.

Maythesunshine replied to texasmama45's response:
I am not sure if i am responding correctly - have never before participated in on line forum - read your webmd posting from may2010 re intuniv for your son. I wondered if you would share your current relationship with the drug and what your thoughts are regarding it today - 8 year old daughter struggles with adhd,ocd, impulsivity etc - have avoided any rx but seriously considering md's recommendation to try intuniv- any feedback would be valued and greatly appreciated - thank you-

An_249909 replied to texasmama45's response:
Dear texasmama45. I enjoyed your post three years ago. I was wondering if INTUNIV was still working for your son. Regards

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Focus on what is fixable
I'm a 41 yo mom of 4. When I feel like I can't get it all together with my house, I seek help of a caregiver who lives to organize instead ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.