Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD - Problems with friendships
lma33167 posted:
Over the summer my son who has ADHD has had a few "issues" when playing with the kids on the block. I have noticed them avoiding him, and it breaks my heart. He has also noticed and we just stay in a bit more.
Has anyone else had a difficult time with this. School starts soon, so there won't be as many opportunities to play outside, but I still worry how this effects him. And me. Ideas, or comments?

moonbeamgarden1 responded:
Kids with ADHD love to play. Sometime though, they have a difficult time interacting with the kids they are playing with. They don't "read" or understand subtle body language. Many times they are so "into" what they are doing that they don't listen to what the other kids are saying. Other kids will stay away from a child who doesn't follow the rules, or only wants to play certain games, or impulsively says things or is impulsive in their actions.

I tell my kids that before you can have good friends you have to BE a good friend. That means you have to LISTEN to what the other kids are saying. Try and find kids your son likes and invite them over for a one on one play date. That usually works better than just finding random kids from the neighborhood. Good Luck!

Boyzmomee responded:
This is common for ADHD kids. They can be impulsive and not be able to read social cues.

Have kids play with your son under adult supervision, like a play date. I'd usually do something active. You can watch your son and coach him afterwards on any problem areas you noticed. Try to make it positive that he's learning how to be a good friend.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.