Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP! Adult ADD and Sleep Deprived...
jigglejap posted:
I am a 59 year old woman with adult ADD. I am not able to take any medications for ADD anymore. Now I am sleepless. I am wired all night and unable to go to sleep and stay asleep. My husband is retired and we have no health insurance. Does anyone have any ideas that are not prescription that would help me sleep? Melatonin works for 2 nights and then it stops working. Valerian root doesn't help much. I am unable to sleep during the day because I can't relax long enough.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

momuv4girls responded:
Not sure how much exercise you get, but for me, what works best is exercise.
I try and walk at least 3-times a week. I will walk between 1 and 5-miles, depending how much time I have.
Swimming is also a great way to get that "energy" out.

If there is a local Y or 24-hour Nautilus gym, maybe you could look into joining.....if not, then walking is great too.

Take care,
-Kathleen

jigglejap replied to momuv4girls's response:
I belong to the Rec Center and I walk the treadmill including incline, 6 days a week and I am also on a weight training program. I used the dyphenhydramine last night for the first time in a week. It seemed to work for me again. Maybe I just need to rotate between the Benadryl and Melatonin. Thanks so much for helping me to realize how important exercise is. It seems to be helping the diabetes as well.

Boyzmomee replied to jigglejap's response:
Good for you! I try to go to the gym 4-5 nights a week.

Hunter0612; responded:
My son is 16 and has ADHD the meds kept him awake, he is now off all meds and doing much better, learning to deal with his problem head on.

Boyzmomee replied to Hunter0612;'s response:
The "problem" is a neurodevelopmental disorder.

Depending on the severity, some folks can thrive with environmnetal supports and later, as adults, develop strategies to cope.

The woman who statrted the thread is not taking any medications anymore yet still has difficulty sleeping.

jigglejap replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I am the one who started the thread. My difficulty in sleeping might also be related to my age. I am noticing that since I have been working out more at the Rec Center that it seems to be helping my sleeping. I am doing weight training as well as cardio. Now that I have increased the weights it has been helping my ADD as well as my Diabetes.

tamarion58 responded:
can u take benedryl? my doc told me to take that to help with sleep. i cant take add meds either...simply cause i cant afford them. benedryl can be gotten over counter...if your doc says ok it might be worth trying

motherofrob responded:
How much melatonin do you take. I do know that kids require more than adults. I wonder if you rotate between the benadryl and melatonin it may help. Insominia can be a vicious cycle. You worry about not being able to sleep so you have more trouble.

Boyzmomee replied to jigglejap's response:
I too have the same problem. I just turned 51 and I do both cardio and weights. I feel so much better even though I am losing weight slowly.

jigglejap replied to motherofrob's response:
I was only taking 3mg. of melatonin. I tried rotating them but it didn't seem to work. I find that the benadryl has been working the best so far. I AM noticing that the more I exercise, the better I sleep. That might be the answer.

charlieharry responded:
I will soon be 73 and found out I had ADD about 10 or 12 years ago. It explained a lot of my problems at work. In addition, I have always had trouble sleeping. I take Adderall twice a day, 10 mg., and a mild anti-depressant. I was taking Trazadone and went off it and couldn't sleep so went on Ambien, but due to it's more addictive qualities am back on Trazadone 50 mg. I still have trouble sleeping. I have gone off Adderall and it doesn't help in the sleeping department.
If you come up with something better let me know. I am a Christian and am working with the Lord on this, especially since I have tried everything else.

Kasey919 replied to charlieharry's response:
Please tell me, what was your first clue. I am 60 years old and feel there is something wrong with me. Doing my own research.

charlieharry replied to Kasey919's response:
I never thought of it until a co-worker mentioned it and my husband about the same time. He said I had about a 2 minute attention span. I read the lists of things that can be a problem and then had an official test (the best they had at the time), which confirmed it. I had a terrible time with proof reading things that needed to be totally accurate and was always embarrassed by my mistakes. It was awful. I was a secretary who really needed one. I just thought I was dumb, but found out otherwise. Read "Driven to Distraction" and perhaps take the test with a psychologist who does this testing. At least it helps to explain some things about yourself that you think are a defect and aren't.

thereforyou replied to charlieharry's response:
Hi please help if you can. I am a mother of an adult son (26). I really feel he has ADD. I did not notice it as a child but since about three years ago I started noticing the signs. My son's father has ADD and I am almost sure my son is ADD. I have tried to tell my son that he has the signs but he dismisses me all the time. I believe all this started after a nervous breakdown. He started abusing drugs so I thought is was the effects of the drugs but he has since stopped but I still see some signs. He says that he is not crazy and I have tried to explain to him that having ADD does not mean he is crazy. I love my son and want to get him help. He isolates himself and sometimes wants to be alone. He lives alone right now, can't keep a relationship, works and is drinking probably daily but I believe he does this to calm him self down. He has a hard time sleeping and sometimes must be on the go. He is very intelligent and is really trying. He loves working out and now I guess I know why. He can take off walking all over town and then finds it hard to calm down. He can sometimes say things that make no sense. I need to know how to help him. What do you advise.
Thank you.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.