Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Grandson with ADHD
An_191218 posted:
I would love some advice.
My grandchildren are living with me due to their Moms death. They are 8 and 10 yo.
The 8 yr old is diagnosed with ADHD. He is extremely bright, good grades, many friends. So he is mostly hyper at times and I see him exhibit grumpy behavior or rude behavior at times. He is taking intuit 2x daily.
The psychiatrist just talks with me and writes script. 300.00
I know nothing about this disease as I am 60 and trying to understand. Otherwise 85% he is loving and a great young man/
Any advice.
I have an appt with a child neurologist in Jan, what do you think?
He has no contact with Father but loves us dearly and knows this is home forever.
Help Grandy in AZ

momuv4girls responded:
I think it is irresponsible for a psychiatrist to medicate a child without visiting with them every month.

My daughter sees a child psychiatrist, and every month we go see her for med check-ups. The Dr. sees me for the first part of the visit, then sees my daughter alone for a good 30 minutes, then wraps up the visit with us all together.

I always think its important to get a second opinion, so a neurologist is a great idea !

((Hugs))
-Kathleen

Boyzmomee responded:
ADHD is not a "disease" but a condition. You can learn much about it by reading. The American Academy of Pediatrics has published a really good book about it. Talk to your grandson's psychiatrist. He should be able to answer questions as well.

My son sees a child psychaitrist. We go in together and the doctor always addresses him first, then we talk together.

Boyzmomee responded:
Also, I think seeing a pediatric neurologist is a good idea. That is where I first took my son.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.