Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Grandson with ADHD
    An_191218 posted:
    I would love some advice.
    My grandchildren are living with me due to their Moms death. They are 8 and 10 yo.
    The 8 yr old is diagnosed with ADHD. He is extremely bright, good grades, many friends. So he is mostly hyper at times and I see him exhibit grumpy behavior or rude behavior at times. He is taking intuit 2x daily.
    The psychiatrist just talks with me and writes script. 300.00
    I know nothing about this disease as I am 60 and trying to understand. Otherwise 85% he is loving and a great young man/
    Any advice.
    I have an appt with a child neurologist in Jan, what do you think?
    He has no contact with Father but loves us dearly and knows this is home forever.
    Help Grandy in AZ
    momuv4girls responded:
    I think it is irresponsible for a psychiatrist to medicate a child without visiting with them every month.

    My daughter sees a child psychiatrist, and every month we go see her for med check-ups. The Dr. sees me for the first part of the visit, then sees my daughter alone for a good 30 minutes, then wraps up the visit with us all together.

    I always think its important to get a second opinion, so a neurologist is a great idea !

    Boyzmomee responded:
    ADHD is not a "disease" but a condition. You can learn much about it by reading. The American Academy of Pediatrics has published a really good book about it. Talk to your grandson's psychiatrist. He should be able to answer questions as well.

    My son sees a child psychaitrist. We go in together and the doctor always addresses him first, then we talk together.
    Boyzmomee responded:
    Also, I think seeing a pediatric neurologist is a good idea. That is where I first took my son.

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.