Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Depression, Bipolar, or ADHD? help!
An_191228 posted:
need help trying to narrow things down. I've had a long journey on medications for the past 5 years so please bare with me.

I am 20 years old and married. Sophomore year of high school, my parents split up and I had broken up with my first long-term boyfriend. Somehow I ended up gettin prescribed to Prozac by my family Dr., which put me in a psych facility for attempted suicide. I never thought I was depressed but the Dr.s insisted I was, and put me on meds that made me want to die everyday since I started them, which led to the attempt.

In my fist visit to the psych ward, I was then put on Lexapro and Abilify, which ended up making me almost seem drunk constantly (slurred speech, inability to think, stumbling). I was put on the 2 because the Dr. thought I was 16 and impulsive trying to kill myself so it must be Bipolar, plus I had alot of anger issues and outbursts at that point. As soon as I had left I was taken off the medication. Saw a therapist and my primary Dr. who had put me on tons more medications. From the time I was 15-17 I had been put on Lexapro, wellbutrine, abilify, prozac, paxil, zoloft and a few others I can't recall their names. Finally I quit everything all together. I was tired of hearing your bipolar, no, your just depressed. My grades had also dropped, i refused to go to school, was taken out, ran away from home, and ended up in an alternative school since starting the medications.

Since then (with no meds) I have had depressive stages, lack of concentration, confusion, forgetfullness, lack of motivation, irritability, lack of sleep (almost 'manic' 1 or 2 days every/everyother month), procrastination, lash outs, easily angered, always on edge, marriage issues, always tired, lots of anxiety, can never keep a job longer than a few months, racing thoughts, multitask but never finish anything, poor attitude, low self esteem.. just to name a few.

I had started taking adderall here and there and LOVED it, i got alot done and had energy, motivation and felt great. My basic 'plan' was to get prescribed to not have to buy off the street. After being refused I looked up and thought wellbutrine would be a good choice (because I realized I really NEED help, not a 'High') since my new Dr. recommended stimulants. I also put away the thought of adderall because i have an addictive personality and really DON'T need that, I just liked how it made me feel.

I was seen by a new psychiatrist a few days ago and he thinks that it may be that I may actually have ADHD (even after telling him my initial 'plan') and all other doctors have just overlooked it in the past because of the issues that were going on in my life at the time. We discussed that Adderall has a high risk for abuse because so many like its effects and often become physically dependant, and reasons I wanted it so bad. Looking up bipolar and adhd symptoms, some are similar. My depression has always been there, but I was told it could possibly be from being misdiagnosed for ONLY depression and/or bipolar, instead of ADHD which could be triggering the depressio?. I'm really at a loss of what to think. Is it possible that all of this could really actually be from not being treated for ADHD? my brother and dad have ADHD.

I have been prescribed to Concerta 18mg. for the past few days, havent felt much of a difference in motivation, but concentration definately. I've also felt more tired and 'spacey' since taking them. If this doesn't work what OTHER options could I try? I have no idea what 'disorder' I have, and don't want to continue trying new drugs but would like to narrow down what my problem could be. My attitude is horrible and leading to marriage issues so I need something to help soon. Any advice? suggestions? similar stories?

JonJonWhatsGood responded:
Hi i'm new to this.

I'd say try not to take medications because i started to rely on them cuz i built up a tolerance.

But what did help for me is talking to a professional such as a therapist or Psychiatrist. I had one before the medication scene got popular...and i felt like it helped me. it felt natural unlike medications.

I dont know if it was because i was a kid because im almost 18 now, but i felt like it helped alot as opposed to now with all these medications and a therapist. you just gotta find the right therapist/Psychiatrist. even though it may take some time

mattthecat responded:
Anon128559 it sound like you are all tangled up in symptoms you might want to try the Bipolar page because a lot of what your describing is what newbies on that page describe all of the time. I have ADD but most of my family has Bipolar disorder. You could have any number of things mixed together you might try doing some research and see if you can find Psychiatrist that specializes in hard to diagnose mental problems. When I got diagnosed with ADD I went to mental health clinic. They did a full work up mind and body. The clinic I went has a reputation for untangling the hard to diagnosed problems. maybe there is something like that in your area. other than that it sound like you are having it bad. I don't know if that helped or not good luck.

Matt

viciousbebop responded:
So it has recently found that most people with bipolar disorder suffer from varying degree's of ADD. I myself have been fighting bipolar for 18 years. But there were things like my attention and focus that were all over the place. I have also found that I also suffer from ADHD. I am also on Concerta but at a higher dose. The dose they started you on is just to make sure it is going to work and then they will gradually work you up to higher doses, at least that's been my experience. It does get easier to find ways of coping. You just need to find what triggers some of the negative things in your life like loud noises, stress things like that and avoid them or find ways to conquer them in small steps. I'm no where near perfect on any of these but it has helped.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.