Skip to content
If I have ADD would necessarily be crippling?
An_191236 posted:
Anon_129711 posted:I am a college sophomore in an honors program. My parents have always stressed academics. I have always received good grades. It took me very little effort until I got to college to get good grades, but I think this is mostly because my high school did not maintain a high academic standard rather than my diligence. During high school I completed the vast majority of my assignments in home room, lunch, or just in class when I could get away with it. One of my close friends was diagnosed with ADD when he was about six. We are very similar people and I share his general restless, above average academic performance, short attention span, and poor memory.

At this point began to wonder if I had something like he had. I asked myself why was he diagnosed and not me. My friend's parents got divorced when he was young and his father did not hold my friend to a high academic standard, though he is very smart. Around this time he was diagnosed with ADD. I on the other hand had parents who strongly maintained that academics were paramount since an early age. I maintained the academic performance they expected with little effort and did so primarily to avoid their disapproval and punishment. I'm aware that parenting does not have an effect on individual having ADD, but is it possible that parenting can effect the likelihood of an individual with ADD being diagnosed? Is it possible the pressure to perform well academically from my parents and easiness of my high school allowed me to "overcome" ADD, while without any pressure my friend's ADD was more apparent and as a result diagnosed? I only spend so much time discussing my friends situation because I was very close to him and he seems to have grown up in a different but parallel situation.

Now that I'm a college student it is even more apparent how little I applied myself in my past academic career. Being a student in the honors program I associate with a wide variety of intelligent people, but they range greatly in ambition, motivation, organization and especially hours spent doing schoolwork. As freshman I lived in a dorm with a sophomore who was seldom around. I made friends with his group, but usually did not hang out with anyone on weekdays. I did most of my readings and finished most of my assignments on time, although always the night before the deadline. I was able to maintain the honors program GPA requirement. I talked to people who spent hours studying everyday, while in contrast I finished most schoolwork in 20 minute blocks spread throughout the day. Reading is somewhat difficult for me if I am uninterested. I often start to think about other things as I read and can't remember the last page I read and go back and reread it. This becomes overwhelming after 20 minutes.

Halfway through my sophomore year I'm finishing many assignments hours or minutes before they're due. It is the end of the semester and I think I'll probably be able to maintain the requirement.

I apologize for this post being so long, but I wanted to explain myself as best as possible. I have read about ADD all over the web and definitely demonstrate most if not all of the symptoms. Do my good grades mean I don't have ADD? I certainly don't have good study habits, but I manage to get by. My notebooks are overwhelmed with doodles, sometimes making them useless, even an indicator of a short attention span.

I would feel stupid discussing this with a doctor because I feel they'd take one look at my grades and wonder why I was there. I guess my primary question is it possible I have ADD and have been coping on my own? Am I lazy? To be honest I have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing the two in my own life. I think the most honest answer would be that it feels like a combination of the two. Please respond honestly. If I offended anyone or have any misconceptions about ADD I apologize, that was not my intention. Thank you for reading.

Bianca_Thompson responded:
I have not been diagnosed, but you seem very much like me. I have an appointment in January to determine if I do have ADD. This is only coming about after having a meeting with my supervisors regarding my change in attitude towards some accepts of my job. It was strongly suggest I see a consuleor to help me manage job related stress. It was during one of those sessions that she suggest a referral to a doctor to see if I do have ADD.

I am 25, I made it through the gifted programs in school, but I almost never did any of my school work at home. I struggled with math and was tutored all thorough high school, but compared to my other grades it was a failure to me. I do have a younger brother whom had been diagnosed with ADHD at a young age because he had significant problems in school. I on the other hand, did well.

mattthecat replied to Bianca_Thompson's response:
You both sound like you have ADD if it affects you bad enough to make a post than it is bad enough to get help for it if you can. I my self put it off until my early thirties only getting help/ getting on meds after my job perimeters changed and i was unable to keep up with my paper work there are things you can do to cope or adjust I will bump a post with tricks i put together months ago up to the top. I do not Know if this helped but i feel for both of you i have been there.

Matt

mattthecat replied to mattthecat's response:
I left one thing out with medicine almost any one can gain there focus back and become productive. so no it is not disabling.

Matt

tacomagirl93 responded:
hey i am seventeen yrs old and deal with adhd was diagnosed at 12 but had anxiety, ocd, odd, situational depression throughout the years... it was after a move and started at a middle school... i was reading at five and made a's and b's and sometimes c's in middle school the first one i was at about failed 6th then switched that march... then from then on i kept a's and b's with scattered c';s.high school seemed more of a challenge with me bc i am hyperactive and i would get up and move around and get restless skipping part of class bc i had no interest in tenth grade i took honors classes to help with the restlessness i felt in class i have had some guidance which is good and i have no problems in my favorite classes but the classes i have problems with tend to be math bc of the careless mistakes and in english if we read my mind wanders and i dont always care which makes a huge difference... i noticed with the studying i can drink something caffineated and that helps...i can get a lot done bc i also wait til the last minute or leave things unfinished... i also have doodles on claswork and notes and dont worry my own mother doubt adhd b/c of the grades and i am in honors classes but she know i am a chatterbox... adhd has been blessing in disguise fir me though... wish u luck:)

DionMatchan responded:
People with ADHD tend to be highly intelligent and many learn bad habits by being unstimulated at school. If you do what you really love and enjoy what you do ADHD will only enhance your ability to succeed.

ADHD only becomes a problem if you are going against your purpose and doing things because you 'think' you should or because other people tell you to.

Grades aren't an indication of ADHD but usually a signal for people to get looked at and possibly diagnosed.

If diagnosis would help you then go and get it done, but if it's just some bad habits getting in your way look at putting new habits in place that will help you achieve your deadlines.

The key is to ensure you are living your purpose and doing what you love, then your focus will be on task, you will be interested and stay interested in what you are doing and whether you have ADHD or not will be inconsequential because you will be doing what you love.

I hope this helps (by the way I have lived this being diagnosed in 1997 at the age of 22)

Dion

An_191237 replied to DionMatchan's response:
I am glad to hear how you expressed the intelligent side of ones who are challenged with ADHD. You are absolutely correct when you implied how when a person fulfill their purpose in life that this can enable one with the diagnosis to see clearer his or her perspective of the causes behind the correlation of symptoms versus the condition. The question that is so difficult for some who are ADHD is, (Why am I challenged in the first place with Adhd? Also, ones facing this dilemma will often make excuses for many of their successes in life before even giving themselves a chance to accomplish goals that they love, and that would express who he or she really is to become. In other words, this condition should not make one who is challenged with adhd feel like an outcast, but it can happen only because of someone else's negligence, and one's who have not been educated enough about this condition.

I believe Adhd can be taken too serious when you do not take time to learn the why, how, and what concerning the reason for its causes. Also that when a person is diagnosed that they began to find positive ways to counteract their diagnosis.

Angie 6:39 a.m. 1/10/11

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.