Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what is better prescription meds. or vitamins?
An_191240 posted:
My son is going through puberty and it is affecting him in school. The doctor told me to put him on medicine for Adhd. Would it be better to give him Vitamins for adhd or prescription medicine? If i give him vitamins, what should i give him?

choo_chu responded:
I take both, along with going to a psychologist. I take fish oil, a multivitamin, vitamin E and Vyvanse. I think they all work well together. I also find that going to a psychologist is important because she teaches me how to cope with stress and adapt to other ADHD-related issues.

Boyzmomee responded:
Vitamins are not an approved treatment for ADHD. However, fish oil has shown promise.

Does your son actually have ADHD? Was he given a complete evaluation? Have environmental supports failed?

sweetspirit34 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
yes he has adhd but he was doing well without meds until he started middle school

sweetspirit34 replied to choo_chu's response:
Thank you i am going to try it.

Boyzmomee replied to sweetspirit34's response:
FYI,

Vyvanse is a stimulant medication.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.