Skip to content
56 and newly diagnosed adult ADD
mojo1955 posted:
I have been treated over the last 5 to 6 years for depression and have been taking fluoxetine. Wasn't doing alot of good but I didn't want to chance going off. My most recent therapist asked me to take the Brown test. I did and scored in the upper level. We have talked time and time again about my life and the symptoms all seem to fit ADD. I'm now taking Ritalin generics at 20mg a day. Probably too early too tell if it will work. Any other older adults out there that can maybe fill me in as to what to expect? I'm very anxious and impatient. Thank you.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mojo1955, and welcome to the community! Please feel free to post questions and join in our discussions. There is a recent discussion about medication that you might be interested in, here is the link: 29 yr old female with ADHD, Cannot find right med combo and therapist - HELP!

Let me know if you need more information.

Take care,

Lainey

mojo1955 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to mojo1955's response:
Hi Mojo1955,

I hope you are feeling better and wanted to know if you noticed any difference taking the Ritalin yet?
A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm. Henrik Ibsen

Thank you and I have noticed some changes and am not real pleased. I am a very impatient person and the ritalin seems to add to the feeling. I did ease the mg back to 10 each day to see if that helps. We are in the process of retiring and selling our house so that pressure has maybe added to the new meds. I will give it another week. I have a therapy appt this week and will see what the therapist thinks. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Mojo1955,

It sounds like a lot is going on in your life. I hope everything calms down soon. Please keep us updated. Sometimes it helps just reading what other members are going through with medications. Please feel free to join our discussions or post more questions.

Take care,

Lainey
A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm. Henrik Ibsen

My meds have been changed to Adderall. This seems to work much better. I'm much calmer and less agitated. I do seem to be a bit more focused. I'm hoping this works. As I understand there are only a few drugs to try and control adult ADD. I have gotten by so far without so I guess if this doesn't work I'll just go back to coping like usual.

Hi Mojo,

Thank you so much for updating. I am glad that you found a possible medication.

Here's some information that might help you further.
Home Remedies for ADHD and a great discussion on this community about sharing tips and tricks for ADHD . I hope the links help. Feel free to join any discussions.

Have you sold your home yet?

We have not sold it yet but have 1 person interested. Thank you for the link.

I hope you sell your home and can enjoy retirement! Let me know if you need more information or just need to talk.

Lainey

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.