Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Mom of Teens w/ ADHD
mzbrwn2u posted:
Hi I am a mother of five, two who are 13yr old twins with ADHD (only one is taking Adderall). Just looking for suggestions or advice to help manage their disorder, days can be a bit overwhelming.

Maryp0728 responded:
I have 14 year old twin girls both with ADHD. Both are on medication which aids in their focus and attention. I am really beginning to see the effects of ADHD on their interpersonal relations. I am so thankful that they have each other, but they have yet to form friendships that have lasted.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mzbrwn2u, welcome to the community. Many members here can related with felling overwhelmed. Here is a link that discusses ADD/ADHD and Home Remedies .

From the link:

"Overall Nutrition and ADHD

Scientific research on ADHD diets is limited and results are mixed. Many health experts, however, do believe that diet may play a role in relieving ADHD symptoms. WebMD's ADHD expert Richard Sogn, MD, points out that whatever is good for the brain is likely to be good for ADHD. Brain researcher and ADHD expert Daniel Amen, MD, recommends these ADHD diet suggestions.

Eat a high-protein diet, including beans, cheese, eggs, meat, and nuts. Add protein foods in the morning and for after-school snacks, to improve concentration and possibly increase the time ADHD medications work.
Eat fewer simple carbohydrates, such as candy, corn syrup, honey, sugar, products made from white flour, white rice, and potatoes without the skins.
Eat more complex carbohydrates, such as vegetables and some fruits (including oranges, tangerines, pears, grapefruit, apples, and kiwi). Eating complex carbs at night may aid sleep.
Eat more Omega-3 fatty acids, such as those found in tuna, salmon, other cold-water white fish, walnuts, Brazil nuts, and olive and canola oil. Omega-3 fatty acids are also available in supplement form."

I hope this information helps, please feel free to post questions or join discussions on this community.

Take care,

Lainey

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear Mom

In addition to making sure that your boys eat a healthy, well-balanced diet make sure they get plenty of exercise spending time outdoors each day. THe best ways for boys this age is to join a sport's team or to run or swim regularly. Studies have shown that exercise enhances brain functioning, decreases hyperactivity, and improves mood. In addition, I have found that the structure of practices and games helps with time management.

I would also suggest that now is the time to begin to help your boys take responsibiliy for their disorder and gain the skills that they will need to live on their own as successful adults. Things like using a calendar, making "to do" lists, knowing how to ask for help when they need it, getting themselves up in the morning and to bed at night are all important skills that take time to develop. You should not continue to be responsible for everything. Someday they will be on their own (the name of may latest book ...On Your Own, due out May 15th published by Magination Press for teens with ADHD) and will need these skills. It takes time for them to develop. Nothing happens overnight. So, now is a great time to start

Boyzmomee replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
We are doing some of these things with our 13 year old.

Great advice! Our son's child psychiatrist has stated as he grows he will need to own and take over this issue.

jinx_guru replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
This is definitely a fact for some parents who have kids with ADHD. Giving our kids medication does not necessarily guarantee that they'd be functioning well since not all kids respond positively to it. Plus, it would be worrying to think if these drugs would have negative side effects later on. Teaching ourselves to provide a good ADHD diet and nutrition for our kids may just be something we can be complacent with since there's obviously no side effects to anything natural. I found a similar article helpful as well since it also talks about the natural remedies for ADHD kids .

Boyzmomee replied to jinx_guru's response:
"Natural remedies" have not proven to be consistently effective for kids with ADHD.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.