Skip to content
Welcome to The ADD/ADHD Community. Please Introduce Yourself!
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello and welcome to The ADD/ADHD community! My name is Lainey and I am the community moderator. Please introduce yourself and share what brings you to the community.

WebMD expert, Dr. Patricia O. Quinn, is a physician specializing in the treatment of ADHD both in children and adults. Dr. Quinn is a developmental pediatrician in Washington, D.C. A graduate of Georgetown University Medical School, she completed a fellowship in developmental pediatrics at Georgetown and specializes in child development and psychopharmacology. Dr. Quinn has worked for more than 35 years in the areas of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and learning disabilities. Along with member contributions, Dr. Quinn can help answer your questions.

WebMD provides some useful tools that can help you get the most of this community.

If you're a member of the WebMD community, you have a profile page that you can use to tell the rest of us a little bit about you. Here is a link to help you set up your profile: Rock Your WebMD Profile Page!

Search: Located above the "Featuring Expert"
This tool will search all discussions on this community for the exact information that you type in.

Watch This Community: Located at the bottom of every post.
Use this tool to watch any discussions you are interested in or discussions that you post.

Newsletters: Located here!
Use this tool to keep up with the latest news about ADD/ADHD.

Please feel free to join any discussion or post questions. This community is very helpful and supportive and we welcome you to share with us!

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Lainey
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sandypthatsme responded:
Hi, I am new to all of this. Well new is not the correct term. I do beleive that I suffer/suffered with ADD in school. But now my son age11 has been diagnosed Inattentive ADD, and my daughter is displaying symptoms of ADHD. Because I have come through school with possible ADD and survived, you would think that I would understand my kids and their struggles better, but I don't. I am hoping to find some support, help and answers here. Thank you for putting the information out there so parents like us don't feel quite as lost.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to sandypthatsme's response:
Hi Sandypthatsme and welcome to the community. Please feel free to ask questions. Many parents feel a little lost at first but WebMD offers a lot of information and support.

Let me know if I can help,

Lainey

ambgpx responded:
Hello. I am very frustrated with life because I have been thrust into some challenging situations and made some poor impulsive choices.

Here's a little of my history: I was diagnosed with ADHD/Inattention and Generalized Anxiety Disorder at age 37. I am now 47 and still struggling with lack of self confidence and have lost a couple good jobs because of extreme stress and poor coping skills after my divorce from my two beautiful daughters' father. I notice I have difficulty formulating my thoughts when trying to express myself...talking like an express train starting from the station...I start slow and clear then gain momentum and speed. Before I know it, I've lost my point and my thoughts become a blur and I feel incredibly incompetent. I take medications for depression and ADHD and they help but I still feel like a fool in a job that demands I know how to train profoundly and moderately disabled kids. I work under two Special Education teachers and often training is given verbally (I am a paraprofessional at a middle school) or "on the job" through observation. My schedule is hectic and my time is split into tiny chunks.
What is becoming evident is that I miss cues and have difficulty shifting gears quickly then stopping abruptly to do something else (all part of the job). When I do something incorrectly, the teachers often become angry and derogatory and blast me in front of the students or other paras (I am not alone in this, though). At this point I either freeze or become extremely emotional and can't find words to express my deeper motives for doing what I did. I also can't seem to check myself when I'm "on a mission."

Am I alone in this? I can't afford the cost or time to get psychological/cognitive therapy so I am going to try this blog for a little while and maybe I can learn some coping strategies.

Thank you!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ambgpx's response:
Hi Ambgpx,

Welcome to the community. I loved how you expressed yourself in your post. You should also be very proud of your career choice. It takes someone very special to help disabled children.
Please feel free to join our discussions and post anytime.

There is an older discussion that you might be interested in. Here is the link. It is a discussion about tips and tricks that other members use.

I hope that you stay and participate in our discussions. Let me know if you need anything.

Soft hugs,

Lainey
A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm. Henrik Ibsen

blanco0813 responded:
My daughter was diagnosed 7 months ago with ADD..i'm trying to do what i can for her in many many ways..i am in need of definate support at this time..we tried no meds but she can't handle it and is starting to angry and depressed at her own lack of focus..we will be starting meds shortly and i am scared as all get out!!!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to blanco0813's response:
Hi Blanco0813,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions. We are here to help each other and offer support.
Let me know if you need anything.

Lainey
A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm. Henrik Ibsen

aelvecro responded:
I am a young professional in the human services field I have been showing symptoms of add since the age of 11 or 12... I am now in my mid twenties. I am trying to get a diagnosis so I can get some help!

playing_the_zone responded:
Hello, I have three sons (14,11,6). My 14 year old was diagnosed with ADHD two years ago. He takes Adderrall. We enrolled him in a structured private high school. He has the typical symptoms of ADHD: impulsivity, hyperactivity, non-cessant talking, decreased attention span. Every day is a struggle. It starts in the morning where we have to work at getting him up, he yells at us and is simply put mean. He goes to school, where he makes poor grades. He comes home he will not let us check his homework. He has NO retention of information, we will study with him for tests. He will have information down pat and then the next day it was if we never studied. He will know information and then if asked a question in a different format or requiring inference, forget it. Believe it or not, that I can deal with.... I am writing as he is just mean and what I consider uncouth. He has an 11 year old brother that he torments relentlessly. Tonight in the car, he was punching his younger brother in the arm. When younger brother says something to us, and I correct him, it is as if he sees it as a challenge. I understand his medicine wears off, but it is unbelievable. When he is on his medicine he doesn't eat. He has only gained 5 lbs in the last two years. We try to let him off the medicine on the weekends / summer so he will eat. He is also insensitive, he seems to need to have feelings explained to him and he is apalling with his manners and social ettiquette. At this point, I am just hoping the next three years will go by quickly and he will move out. Sounds terrible I know, especially when today is supposed to be mothers day. He just terrorizes his brothers and me. My 11 year old doesn't understand why I can't correct him. I am trying. I have explained ADHD to him. But why should he have to endure all of this. So tonight I have told my 11 year old, that I will start riding in the back of the van and let him sit up front, so his brother doesn't bother him. Sad thing is he used to be my sweetie and can still be on occasion, and then this wave of ADHD hit and it has been horrible for two years. I feel like the worlds worst mother. I feel that I have to "protect" my other sons from him. I need help.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to aelvecro's response:
Hi Aelvecro,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions. Let us know if you need any help.

How are you trying to get diagnosed?

Lainey

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to playing_the_zone's response:
Hi Playing_the_zone,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions.

I am sorry you are having some difficulties and we will try to help. Please feel free to use this community to ask questions and advice.

WebMD has an information link for Teens and ADHD and Behavior Techniques

We also have a "Search This Community" tool above the Featuring Experts. Typing in a search term will give you results of recent discussions about the term.

If you need anything please let me know. Using the "Post Now" tool.

Take care,

Lainey

amie02086 responded:
Well, I have ADD, non-medicated. My husband has ADHD, also non-medicated. He has 3 children from a previous marriage, the youngest has fairly severe ADHD, he is 7, we are currently discussing medication options since nothing else seems to be helping. The daughter is 9 and in the process of being tested, though i think she may have ADD, i do not think it is severe but some extra support never hurt a child. I love these children very much and i am blessed to get along great with their mother.

I am pregnant with my first child.

I work with children in the autistic spectrum, i use to work with special needs adults and children in general but i have since narrowed my focus. I am noticing a growing frequency in the multi/dual diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorders and ADD/ADHD. I love the children I work with.

oh yah, I am 24

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to amie02086's response:
Welcome to the community Amie,

Please feel free to join our discussions and post topics. This is a very supportive group. Having ADD yourself gives you an understanding that would help greatly in your field of work. Do you work with all ages?

amie02086 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
yes, mostly I work with families that hear about me through word of mouth. My aunt and uncle do foster care and respite foster care for kids with autism. I get a lot of referrals through them and one other family i have been working with for quite a while now. As a result i usually end up working for multiple companies at once or moving from company to company because once i am with a child i try to stay with that child unless he goes into a group home (which has happened to me twice) I also keep my ear to the ground for Male workers because the majority of the kids i work with are boys soon to hit puberty or in puberty. It really helps them to have a good male worker.

right now I am toying with the idea of creating my own company specifically designed for working with kids in the autistic spectrum or with severe ADHD. most of the companies around where i live that hire for PCA's or similar roles do not have proper training for their employees to handle a severely Autistic child. They train more for the physically handicapped. As a result, many families I know are very frustrated. And many workers are in over their heads. Much od my training has come from working with my aunt and uncle and my 2 of my cousins who are on the autistic spectrum. As well as self done research into how the autistic mind works and the effects of different meds and how autistic people see the world and interact. Different companies have different ways of dealing with clients, both adults and children. So i have taken what i have learned and seen work in some companies and apply it to my own clients when reasonable.

I firmly beleive that children with special needs are greatly underestimated, and the more we can help them at a early developmental stage the greater progress will be seen throughout their lives. The key is early, intense and effective treatments both physically, socially and medically that grow and change with the child.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to amie02086's response:
Hi Amie, what a wonderful way to think!

I hope you do consider creating a company. Parents need a better understanding of their children and you could be that bridge! Many parents have to do most of their own research to different learning techniques.

Also, have you visited our pregnancy communities yet?
Here is a link to our list.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Lainey

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.