Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
not new to adhd but new here
nettablessed posted:
hi community, i'm glad to have found you!

49 yr old female here who has been challenged with adhd since age 16, (among other related conditions).

here to learn, listen, share and care.

currently on ritalin but have taken:
adderall, (ir and xr)
straterra
vyvanse
dexedrine
focalin

it's been a long road trying to find the medication that will work for me this time.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
I posted a welcome post to you Netta but I don't see it here now. I hope you are still checking in.

I hope you can find support here as well as give it.
ADHD since the age of 16? I'm so happy to hear you found meds that work for you!

Welcome!
Chrissy~ He who has hope has everything. - Proverb

nettablessed replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks chris, i appreciate your reaching out to me!

yea, since 16, long time-long road. i hope i can help as much as being helped because everyone deserves support and understanding.

hope to talk to ya soon,
netta

FocusChallenged responded:
Hello. I am new to this site and just posted (I'm "FocusChallenged). I'm 51 and have had issues with ADHD since an accident in '92. I take Ritalin for work but and wondering if there are better meds now for focus and short-term memory issues. Do you like Ritalin or Adderall better?

nettablessed replied to FocusChallenged's response:
hi focus! glad to meet you.

i am sorry to hear about your accident but do Pray you are doing well ... in spite of the adhd, etc.

i cannot take adderall. it produced serious heart palpatations that sent me to the ER twice. that was followed-up with an appointment to the cardiologist. Thank God everything is well. so ritalin and focalin work well with me, doc and i discovered thru months of trial and error.

i also take nuvigil and that with my ritalin produce focus and consentration covering my entire workday.

i hope this helps.

questions for you hon: in our age range, how do you feel as an adult adhd'er in trying to manage work? i know, sounds like silly question but i really want to dig into having this and what we go thru or the many coping techs we have to put in place just to focus and follow thru.

like, i have to work 3x as hard as my co-workers to complete the same or similar task .... arrrrrrgh! not being able to sit still for any extended length of time, in meetings-you've got my attention for about 20 mins, etc.

yes, i take the medication i indicated as prescribed but it only can do so much. i am never at complete unless sleep ... umm, that's a whole another saga.

well, lemme know what ya think.

take care hon,
nettablessed

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.