Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ADHD Medications
FocusChallenged posted:
Hi there. I'm new to this group. I have ADHD and have issues with focussing and short-term memory. I take Ritalin while working. Are there any better meds for this? Ritalin was prescribed many years ago.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there!

I hope that others will share their thoughts with you and, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here. You can also find some good information linked from this WebMD article:

ADD/ADHD Treatments

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Welcome! Thanks for joining us! Symptoms of inattention and distractibility associated with ADHD can cause problems with sustained attention and focus. Working memory issues (short term memory) are part of the brain's executive functioning skills which can also be impaired in many people with ADHD. These short term memory problems can also be seen (or get worse) in menopause and aging in general. You don't indicate how old you are or if you are female, but I bring these up since they are important to consider when talking about expectations for treatment you are undergoing.

Now, to specifically answer your question about Ritalin. Ritalin is a form of methyphenidate that has be used since the late 1950s. It is short-acting stimulant medication that takes effect in about 30 minutes and lasts about 3-4 hours, necessitating multiple doses throughout the day. Newer formulations of methypheidate are now available that last longer and are smoother in delivery of medication depending on the delivery system. These include Concerta, Daytrana (a patch), Focalin XR, Metadate CD, and Methylin.

ADHD symptoms affect functioning 24 hrs a day (yes, sleep is affected by ADHD), 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That being said, you may want to re-evaluate how you are functioning overall (at work, at home, and with others) and discuss your treatment and need for improvements with your prescribing physician.

charlieharry replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
I have had trouble with sleep all my life and it is the pits. It is difficult not to be depressed when you are tired all the time from lack of sleep. I am constantly working on trying to do things that allow me to sleep. I take adorall and am trying to take it earlier in the day. I take a mild anti-depressant and at night Trazadone, about 25 to 45 ml. I am 73 and have always struggled with this. My brain is too active and it is difficult to get back to sleep when I wake up in the night for the same reason.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.