Skip to content
ADD and learning
mommyiam1 posted:
My daughter is 11 yrs old. She has just finished the fifth grade. It was a long year in some ways. We struggled a lot with homework. I was finally able to find a tutor. She worked with the tutor fairly well. She has been below grade level and continues to be, even with tutoring. Her self- esteem leaves a lot to be deisred and I am having issues with lying. I have been told by psychologists that she is looking for attention or the one upmanship. We have disciplined her for the lying, but it doesn't seeem to work. She acts like there is a "short circuit". Has anyone out there ran into this or can help me figure out what help my daughter needs to get through school and life successfully

blanco0813 responded:
My 9 yr old struggled the same ways in 4th this year. We've tried many many things, behaviour therapy and strategies only went so far. My girl lied alot, mostly to compensate for what she couldn't accomplish..it was easier to get in trouble and take the punishment than it was for her to do her work.
Finally 5 weeks ago we put her on Concerta, first 18mg now 27mg. I don't advocate for meds..in fact i don't like giving them to her but i can't deny they have helped. While she is still as disorganzied as ever ( i think that is her natural personality) the lying has stopped the school work while not a huge improvement grade wise has become WAY less of a fight and struggle she does her work and i beleive she does it to the best of her ability.
Definately seek the advice of a GOOD Dr...heck i have 3 for her. Its not easy dealing with low self esteem and lying get yourself some support to their mental health strongly depends on our mental heath!

mommyiam1 replied to blanco0813's response:
Thank you for the input. It's kinda nice to know, although I wouldn't wish this on anyone, to know that someone else knows what is going on and isn't in a denial stage.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Swearing
Do I ingnore my 9 year old son when he swears. He has started doing it all the time. He doesn't do it at school just at home. I think he is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.