Diet and ADHD, have you tried it?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Those parents with ADHD children, have you tried changing your child's diet after your child has been diagnosed with ADHD?

WebMD has an interesting article on diet and ADHD.
How diet can help with children

What are your thoughts on this?
Chrissy~

He who has hope has everything.
     - Proverb

Boyzmomee responded:
A healthy diet can help all children.

pinkrosem9 responded:
My grandson was on ritalin and developed severe depression. I took him off and he regressed back to his old behavior. Just one example.....I would get a phone call from his teacher EVERY DAY telling me how he was disruptive or disobedient in class.

Then I read a book called "why can't my child behave" and researched a diet free of additives, preservatives and dyes. He has been on this diet for over a year now. It is HARD. For him, me AND the rest of the family. It is a MAJOR adjustment. But now, even the priincipal of the school (it's a small school) has noticed a marked improvement.

To take a pill is easy, to get results takes work.

I am so happy I read that book.

Boyzmomee replied to pinkrosem9's response:
You are incorrect. To decide to give your child medication, the most effective treatment for many with ADHD, is not easy.

I am a social worker and have worked with many children with ADHD throughout the years as well as having one son with ADD and one with ADHD. The older required environmental supports, the younger medication.

While I am happy that your grandson has had a good result with what you have done, please don't smugly pat yourself on the back and then state that others who have needed a different path have chosen the "easy" one. It is anything but.

lilysand2 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Boyzmomee- how do you determine then what your son (or in my case daughter needs?) environmental or medication support?

BeckyG12 responded:
I saw a similar idea on solandsam.com about supplementation helping ADD/ADHD. I tried it and wasn't disappointed. Took less than a week for everybody to see the change.

ADD_mom_of4 responded:
My son has ADD, we removed food coloring, nitrates, artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives from his diet. He eats 60% protien, and 40% carbs plus Omega-3 and vitamin B-6. Within 1 week he made drastic improvements! I am amazed at the results of this drug free method! He has been on this since March 1st and is 14 years old. We have never tried any other method because this one is working. He is on his way to all A's this quarter without nagging.