Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What type of dr/professional do i need for adhd/depression/life?
dhflaf posted:
I have been dealing with depression since the birth of my daughter (5 yrs old). in the past year, my doctor said, I have adhd, but good thing is the depression is better. I had gone to a counselor in the beginning, but i just feel like i am just having a venting session.

Basically I am a stay at home mom of 1 and my husband works full time. I can't even plan my day. I can't keep a house, like I think it should be. I am not making appointments that need to be done. I create lists but of course, don't follow thru. I can't stand living with the piles of things that come into this house, but yet, haven't found a place for them... plus i admit, there is just too much stuff! I know I have addictive personality, find something i enjoy, thats what my focus is, ebay, then it was qvc, then garage sales, coupon shopping.. i keep praying cooking and cleaning will become the next addiction!!! lol! My biggest concern with all this is how is this going to affect my daughter as an adult, am i passing my terrible habits onto her? I have no concept of time, so the thought of her starting kindergarten and getting on a bus everyday, ON TIME, makes me a bit nervous! I just don't' know how to plan out what needs to be done, when it needs to be done. what chores when, etc. i just do as things pop into my head. no rhyme or reason. some things never get done... dust spare bedroom, wash windows, etc... i am constantly late and it drives my husband nuts! I feel the need to take care of things, but yet i get overwhelmed by all the different things that need to be done, i just crash and burn.

Soooo my question is, how do i find someone that can really figure out what all my issues are. Also I want THE BEST, because i just don't want a venting session again. i want help!!! besides just taking meds, i want someone to motivate me, help me get organized, figure out time management, etc. Can you tell me what type of person that is, counselor, coach, psychiatrist, etc? And is there is a way to find out their credentials? Thank you so much for your time.
GinaPera responded:
HI there,

First, you should know that you're not alone! I've talked with dozens of young mothers with ADHD who coped rather well in life until the birth of their children. Even women who were very organized and successful at work (and, relatively speaking, in the rest of life) found that their coping strategies broke down at home, including when they became stay-at-home moms.

The biggest problem they report? There is no structure! Self-structuring is not considered an ADHD strongsuit, and when there are few cues in the environment (deadlines, a meeting at 3:00, a boss's email asking when that project will be completed), it's easy to get lost in the minutiae. Instead of focusing on the tasks at hand, it's easy to let anxiety spin out of control. When that happens, it can be tricky to discern what is innate, neurogenetic anxiety or depression and what is the fallout from untreated ADHD.

First of all, I would not dismiss the importance of establishing an effective medication regimen first. Too many people with ADHD (and their physicians) fail to realize just how critical is finding the right medication (and dosage) for you. After that's on board, you can focus on what's left over.

Some people will do best with a professional organizer who has expertise in ADHD, someone to help establish routines, schedules, and organizing systems. Some might benefit from a coach. Until you start the medication, though, it can be hard to know exactly where you need the most help.

As far as finding a professional, it really depends on the resources in your area. Typically, psychologists conduct the evaluation and then you see a psychiatrist for the medication.

In my experience, it's best to identify the most experienced psychiatrist you can find (being board-certified in ADHD should help insure expertise) and ask if they work with a psychologist who can do the evaluation. (Some psychiatrists perform the evaluation, or they might work in a clinic where another professional performs the evaluation.)

If there is a CHADD chapter in your area (check at -- chapter locator), attend a meeting and ask others for recommendations to local professionals.

You can also ask your health insurance company for referrals to specialists in your area.

Overall, there are many ways to find a specialist. No one way. The most important factor is that you have a rapport with the professional and feel confident in his or her expertise. The best way to do this is to educate yourself first on what to expect of ADHD treatment.

I hope this helps.
Boyzmomee replied to GinaPera's response:
Great advice.

However, there is no "board certification in ADHD."
Gina Pera replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Yes, you are correct. My apologies. I should have said "board certified in psychiatry, with a specialty in ADHD."

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.