Skip to content
There has to be something more
autimac posted:
My daughter was diagnosed as ADHD at the age of 3. There was such a weight taken off when I realized it wasn't me and I wasn't a bad parent. She is now 6 yrs. old and we have been experimenting with different drugs, combinations, and dosages for 3 years now (Concerta, Ritalin, Adderall, and Foclian). With every drug she a normal well behaved child for the first 10 to 14 days. After that period the behavior problems would start back up again. When I say behavior problems I mean just the overall inability to control herself. She has always maxed out on all dosages for the meds. At age 5 she was taking 40mg of Adderall (2 pills a day) and her Pediatrician thought I was over medicating her so I had to re-do all the paperwork for her to be reevaluated by Psychology. I started to second guess myself and once again thought it was me and I was just a bad parent. When her teachers filled out their portion of the paperwork I was once again relieved to know that it wasn't me. They were pretty much saying the same things I was saying.

When we went back to Psychology to be reevaluated they said that there wasn't anything wrong with her aside from the ADHD. I was in disbelief. There has to be more to it. I asked why hasn't any medication done what it is supposed to do, we've been experimenting for so long now. They're answer was that she just had a really high tolerance and a high metabolism.

She is currently on 20mg Foclain XR (2 pills a day). Like all other meds she was great at first. I still find that this is one of the better ones to help her keep her in control both physically and mentally. She still has the verbal outburst, she can not and never has been able to control her talking. She has to say whatever thought comes to her head or say out loud what she is doing or make these irritating laughing noises (think Fran Dreshier). I find that by the 3rd hour she has taken it, it starts to wear off and quickly. When it wears off she is the worst she has ever been compared to other meds. She becomes extremely manic and it's to the point where our 2 year old is getting hurt by her and she has several times endangered our 7mos. old.

I keep trying to contact her Psychologist. We keep playing phone tag. We see military doctors, for my husband is in the military and I just feel that they are understaffed and overworked. Every time I book an appointment with Psychology it's at a minimum 2 to 3 mos. later. I am just ready to take her somewhere to see a civilian provider. My husband suggested she be seen by a Psychotherapist. We are just so desperate and at the end of our rope. There is such a negativity in our household. We have to pour so much attention on her that the other 3 children (9, 2, 7mos) aren't receiving much and when they do it's not very positive because we are just so irritated with our daughter. I've always told myself that she will grow out of it and be better able to control it as she gets older, but that hasn't happened. We use behavior modification and give her tools to help us help her, but she never uses them. I just don't know what else to do, we've done everything under the sun. I just feel like there has to be something more to it than just ADHD.

Boyzmomee responded:
My son is in the military and my father was in for 29 years.

Use Tri-Care and take your daughter to a child psychiatrist.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.