Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 Year old Grandson and 4 Year Old Granddaughter - Both Sever ADHD
NanaBrenda2011 posted:
Poppa and I are helping my daughter raise her two wonderful children, 7 yrs old and 4 yrs old. We all live together.

7 Year old was diagnosed at age 3 with sever ADHD and was put on medication. He is now on concerta once a day, and chlonodin ever 3 hours. It helps, but its easy to see when his medicine wears off.

The 4 year old was also diagnosed recently, however, the doctors are refusing to put her on medicine. They are suggesting that my daughter take parenting classes to learn to deal with her.

The 4 year old is acting out horribly, she's destructive, she does not mind, we've tried time out, taking things, groundments and even a spanking when its been required with no luck. If you do time out, the minute you take your eyes off her, she's gone. She is always talking constantly, like her brother, and says things that are mean and rude. She is constantly screeching very loudly. We threaten to give her a teaspon of vinegar if she does it again, but she still does it.

We need help as we've tried everything. She is up at the crack of dawn and doesn't go to bed until midnight sometimes 1 am. She refuses to take naps. and She won't sleep in her own bed. She may fall asleep in her bed, but by morning she is in nana's or mommas bed.

We have to keep chain locks on all the doors cause she will run out and take off running (she is very fast). She has no respect for the street or cars. Even though we've attempted to tell her about them and how she could get hurt.

We are looking for an alternative as I said, the dr's are refusing to put her on medicine at this time.

THanks for letting me vent, and I'm open to suggestions or recommendations.

Nana

momuv4girls responded:
I highly, highly suggest you find a smart, Child Psychiatrist to evaluate your young granddaughter ASAP.

All Dr.s are not created equal, and when dealing with young children, you need a really, really good one, who is board certified. Here is a link to finding a child psychiatrist http://www.aacap.org/

Here are a few links for you to explore - - of course I am not diagnosing or suggesting your granddaughter has these illness, I just want to help you explore different ideas and hopefully help you all.

http://www.adhdnews.com/bipolar.htm

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/when_to_seek_help_for_your_child

Take care, and good luck ! Write back anytime.
(((Big Hugs)))
-Kathleen

NanaBrenda2011 replied to momuv4girls's response:
I've always thought that the two of them were a bit bipolar. Their father, who is not in the picture, thank goodness, was diagnosed with bipolar.

The father was a meth addict during both pregnacy's and during both births of the children. He had my daughter hooked on meth as well. He used meth and pot around the oldest when they lived with him. I've since had the daughter and children with me and my daughter has been clean for about 4 years now. I plan to keep her that way, by keeping the father out of the picture.

Boyzmomee replied to NanaBrenda2011's response:
Both of your grandchildren were exposed in utero to meth. Did your daughter stop using after the birth of your granddaughter?

I think you need help on multiple fronts and I agree with momuv4girls... a good child psychiatrist is vital in addition to an evaluation by a pediatric neurologist. Is there a children's hospital nearby or a teaching hospital?

I know you have tried your best but you can't punish this out of your granddaughter.

Please keep us updated. I know it is a struggle but help is available.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.