Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Melatonin
jordansmom828 posted:
My daughters doctor told me to give my 8yr. old melatonin at bedtime, she is currently on concerta and has issues going to sleep at night. My concern is, is it ok to give to children and how much do I give her?
thanx

olivia4fun responded:
Melatonin should be perfectly safe to take; it is naturally produced by the body when you get sleepy. I was taking melatonin for a couple of years before I was diagnosed. The melatonin helped regulate my sleep patterns and as a benecial side effect, reduced the number of migraines I got.

As for the dosage, I don't actually know if children need a different amount than adults. I would check the bottle, sometimes over-the-counter stuff, has specific directions for children and adults.

Boyzmomee replied to olivia4fun's response:
I have a client who had a bad reaction to Melatonin.

Ask your daughter's doctor how much to give her. Most folks on it do just fine.

However, because it's "natural' doesn't always equate to being safe.

Gina Pera responded:
Hi jordansmom,

Do you know why your doctor suggested melatonin?

My research into the many issues around ADHD and sleep indicate that before attempting to treat these issues, a doctor should gain a good idea of the cause.

It is NOT advised to take melatonin (which is a hormone, and hormones are powerful things, with many unknown actions) unless that is the problem.

It is thought that some people with ADHD experience dysregulated "sleep clocks" and melatonin might be helpful for them.

For others, though, it might be "brain noise" that keeps them awake at night -- that is, ADHD symptoms of a chattery brain that won't turn off and let them go to sleep.

Still others might experience sleeplessness as a side effect of the stimulants' effect on serotonin.

There are many possibilities and, unfortunately, no one-size-fits all answers for sleep challenges and ADHD.

I hope this helps,
Gina Pera

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love @business@home@marriage@inter caste@vashikaran@problem solution baba ji +91-9815934087
@india best astrologer +91-9815934087 1. Business related problems.2. Husband and wife relationship.3. Be free from enemy / 2nd wife 4. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.