Skip to content
ADHD OR BAD PARENTING?
GABESGRAMMY posted:
Hi, my 7 yr old grandson was just diagnosed with ADHD. His father (my son) has always treated him overly aggressively. He yells at him spanks him often (all in exasperation). He is a high school teacher and has the responsibility of caring for Gabe in the evenings while Mommy works. He doesn't physically abuse Gabe, but the poor kid can't breath without his father yelling at him for breathing too loud (rhetorical, of course, but you get the point). My son (Gabe's dad) really is a good person and well loved and respected at the school he teaches at, but his frustrations are taken out on his son . I admit, Gabe does have anger issues, concentration problems, and talks incessantly. He does exhibit all the symptoms described in this site, but is it possible it stems from his overly angry (not physically abusive, but mentally) father? My son denies his role in this and would never admit he is the problem. I love my son AND my grandson and hate the thought of Gabe having to take medications the rest of his life, possibly causing liver damage, etc later in life. PLEASE HELP!

momuv4girls responded:
Is there any chance your son would take a parenting class?
Dealing with a child who has special needs IS exhausting and frustrating, but there are environmental behaviors that will definitely make it worse - ie: yelling, spanking, anger

Who exactly diagnosed your Grandson? Was it a Child Psychiatrist? Is therapy part of his treatment? If so, maybe his Dad will go too and learn better parenting skills.
Medication is only a partial fix, coping / life skills need to be learned.

You sound like a loving Grandma and Gabe is lucky to have you !!

((Hugs))
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.