Skip to content
Hi, my 7 yr old grandson was just diagnosed with ADHD. His father (my son) has always treated him overly aggressively. He yells at him spanks him often (all in exasperation). He is a high school teacher and has the responsibility of caring for Gabe in the evenings while Mommy works. He doesn't physically abuse Gabe, but the poor kid can't breath without his father yelling at him for breathing too loud (rhetorical, of course, but you get the point). My son (Gabe's dad) really is a good person and well loved and respected at the school he teaches at, but his frustrations are taken out on his son . I admit, Gabe does have anger issues, concentration problems, and talks incessantly. He does exhibit all the symptoms described in this site, but is it possible it stems from his overly angry (not physically abusive, but mentally) father? My son denies his role in this and would never admit he is the problem. I love my son AND my grandson and hate the thought of Gabe having to take medications the rest of his life, possibly causing liver damage, etc later in life. PLEASE HELP!
momuv4girls responded:
Is there any chance your son would take a parenting class?
Dealing with a child who has special needs IS exhausting and frustrating, but there are environmental behaviors that will definitely make it worse - ie: yelling, spanking, anger

Who exactly diagnosed your Grandson? Was it a Child Psychiatrist? Is therapy part of his treatment? If so, maybe his Dad will go too and learn better parenting skills.
Medication is only a partial fix, coping / life skills need to be learned.

You sound like a loving Grandma and Gabe is lucky to have you !!


Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.