Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADD and You!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I thought that maybe we could share some personal experiences.

How did you find out about your ADD/ADHD?

What works for you, as far as managing your ADD/ADHD?

Share with us.
Chrissy~

He who has hope has everything.
- Proverb

Rothbard responded:
I only found out about 2 months ago. I went to see a psychiatrist because I was really depressed and had a lot of anxiety. ADD was not something that I had ever even considered until the doctor mentioned it. Honestly, I thought she was crazy because I am not hyperactive. In fact, I'm the exact opposite, I'm always tired. Of course I did a google search and found out that most of the fights my husband and I had where listed as symptoms. I also found out that it is linked to dysgraphia, which I have and so does my son. When I was young I would leave spaces where words should have been but were not. I also put extra letters in words (only when I write, I don't do it when I type) and my son does the exact same thing. A word like action is written like this...actiontion. I don't know if it's common to do that because nothing I read about dysgraphia mentioned anything about adding extra letters to words or leaving blank spaces where words should have been. Do you know anything about this? I can't seem to find any info on it. I thought it was just a quirk of mine until I saw my son doing the exact same thing. I am currently taking Welbutrin for depression and anxiety and ritalin 10 mg twice a day. The Ritalin seems to work okay but it does not last very long.

Cailinrua12 responded:
I was diagnosed with ADD at the end of second grade and went through the normal Ritalin routine. I weaned myself off the meds (somewhat by accident) at the end of the 6th grade and have been off them ever since, though senior year of both high school and college I was sorely tempted to go back on them as the stress got to me.

I was lucky to have a mother who was a teacher long before she ever stepped into a classroom (where she now helps many ADD and LD students, often using tricks she learned with me) and we were able to figure out many coping skills such as organization and learning how to concentrate.

As to how I'm managing now- well I'm managing. I'm trying to learn more about how ADD affects adults and how to function in a post-academic environment. I had quite a few ADD flare ups in a previous job that showed me that obviously I would have to learn some new skills and methods than those I'd used when I was younger.

vickysm responded:
I actually diagnosed myself! My son was diagnosed when he was in the first grade! I had allways been very hyperactive but never really paid attention to it, till I went to nursing school, and I strugled tremendously, during my 2nd year in nursing I notice that I could retain some of the information that the other nurses knew. I thought that they had been a nurse longer! but no!! so I started doing research on it. and my doctor had prescribed depression meds and anxiety meds. because I was so tense and in overdrive all the time. so I went back to him and told him and he then said, you have all the symptoms! he prescribed stattera, I took it for a week and I quit! I was scared to take it. so I"m thinking about trying homeopathic meds instead!! any suggestions?

pjw492 responded:
every written test I've taken has been at 75% or greater on the positive side. Friends who have known me a long time not surprised. Nurse practitioner would like to treat me but need OK from neurologist.

LexiMiami replied to Rothbard's response:
Rothbard, it's people like you and boards like this that have helped me and my children so much. If it weren't for your post I wouldn't know what Dysgraphia is, or that it is a big possibility that my daughter and I have it. I'm so tired of dealing with schools that either don't care or are really just stuck themselves because of the terrible funding and cuts they have to deal with. It makes me so angry to think about how horrible school was for me, and how easily I was just put into the lazy category, so much so that I've called myself lazy all my life. I'm not going to let that happen to my kids, and I'm not going to let that continue to hold me back. Thank you for sharing your story, please know it has at least helped me and my family.

Leiloni13 replied to vickysm's response:
I was diagnosed in the 3rd grade.. I have found that exercise everyday, medical cannabis and the herb L-tyrosine (for talking) have helped me tremendously. I work out about an 1/2 hr to 1 hr EVERY day...All the anxiousness and nervousness are gone and so are the rushes of Adrenalin I used to experience all the time. Also I'm lucky I have a job where they don't test for substances. Not to go on about that but it works for me. In addition I also take Vitamins B6, B12, and extra calcuim that helps with blood and bone denisty and just makes me feel better. At any rate, I'm drifting from my point, for me Exercise & Tyrosine were the keys!!
Good Luck
Leiloni12

Leiloni13 responded:
I was diagnosed in the 3rd grade adn I'm now 54...I found the herb L-Tyrosine helps tremendously for excessive talking. But the only way I was able to get rid of the hyperness was to exercise EVERY day for at least 1/2 to 1 hr. I use...and I'm not recommending this for everyone..medical cannabis which really helps me to maintain focus and concentration. I won't go on but it works for me. Also take a multi-vitamin plus calcuim and Vit B6 and B12 it helps to maintain a healthy immune system. Anyway it beats the drugs the Dr.s prescribe, I went thru them all. Ritalin made me much worse and Concerta and Strattera gave me a massive headache so I stopped taking them. Anyway try it, it can't be much worse then you are now.
Good luck!

dogg2 responded:
I was always marked as 'The Hyper Kid', oh he's just hyperactive was all i heard growing up; i kept getting into trouble & losing friends when all i thought i was doing was having fun! i was 6yrs-old & goin' into overdrive - cutting Kindergaarten classes, but smart as a button; wasn't until i was in my late twenties & shortly before geting married did i start understanding why things in my life just went bonkers all the time; didn't do, nor has it helped, any towards my marriage though (poor wife & kids; add their trauma to my blood relatives' & Congregation's trauma growing up in..); now that i understand it better i know what to do - just can't because wife, family & Congregation don't understand ADHD as thoroughly in an adult, talented, Christian male;

so i am NOT handling my ADHD very well! plus, i have recently discovered newer sensations & sensitivities off the chart-! I FEEL LIKE I'M GONNA BUST & LEVEL THE WORLD AROUND ME!!!! i'm even more surprised & confused than ever about things now; i gotta adapt & somehow get my college Degree next year, maintain a job, then FIND a job in my field of study, keep morally clean & save my marriage-! ..yeah. simple, hunh?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.