Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anger and Mood Problems with Vyvanse?
An_240204 posted:
I have 19 yr old who has been on ADHD meds for almost 11 years. He claims if he misses a day he cannot remember on concentrate on anything. His doctor recently (within the past 6 months ) has placed him on Vyvanse. I've noticed his mood has changed and he is constantly angry. Our home has become a battle zone. Is this common for this drug? At this point are there better choices. He was on Concerta for years but felt it was not working anymore. Help!

momuv4girls responded:
Yes, I have heard of this type of reaction. Medication is very individual, and while Vyvanse can be great for some, it can disrupt others - - basically its trial and error.

I would make a Dr. appt. ASAP and have your son discuss how his mood has changed.

Take care,
-Kathleen

3littlekids replied to momuv4girls's response:
I have an 11 year old that is having the same issue on Vyvanse, he's taking 40mg. Family doctors says up the dosage so he is medicated longer. Can anyone offer information on dosages and the mood swings?

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Mood swings and irritablility can be side effects of medication used to treat ADHD. I agree with the others who responded that you should have your son contact his prescribing physician right away. He may need to increase his dose of Concerta or try another methyphenidate product or a stimulant and Intuniv.

Pat Quinn, MD

Gina Pera responded:
HI there,

It would be important to know why your son thinks the Concerta wasn't working anymore.

You don't mention it but is he dealing with increased responsibilities now -- such as working a job or being in college? That might have contributed to his perception that the Concerta had stopped working.

Is he getting enough sleep, eating well (including sufficient protein and minimal caffeine), getting exercise and in other ways structuring his life in a healthy way?

Did he start at a low dosage and slowly increase?

These are important questions that the physician should be asking your son -- or that you and your son should be asking the physician. The physician should also be monitoring the transition from Concerta toVyvanse, and even encouraging your son to include feedback from friends and family members as to how the medication is working.

good luck,
Gina

BonJoviFan responded:
I have a 14 year old son who recently started Vyvance and Geodon. Two weeks ago, after being on it for appx. 6 weeks, he started having alot more anger than usual (ie. punching walls in, wanting to beat up a handicapped kid at school, threatening to punch me in my face and smother me in my sleep, etc....) So I became really concerned and assumed it was the Geodon, but after hearing from one other person and looking it up online, I now know that Vyvance has had at least 163 cases causing aggression, 133 cases of irritability, 112 cases causing agitation, 101 cases causing abnormal behavior, 91 cases causing anger, 10 cases causing hostility and 3 cases of physical assault.
I immediately took him off of it.

Spchllk replied to BonJoviFan's response:
BonJoviFan -

If you do not mind me asking - what was the dosage of your son's Vyvanse? We currently have my 5-year-old on 30 mg - he started out with 20 mg/day. And we have been very happy with the results. He's been on Vyvanse since January, and we have seen a marked improvement in his behavior since we put him on it. He was actually MORE aggressive (particularly at school) before the switch. Vyvanse was the fourth ADHD medication for my son, and the most consistent, thus far. Just curious, and fascinated to see how these meds work differently for different kids.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Focus on what is fixable
I'm a 41 yo mom of 4. When I feel like I can't get it all together with my house, I seek help of a caregiver who lives to organize instead ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.