Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
son with ADD
ccmlo posted:
Just had parent/teacher conferences for my 5th grade son last night. Have been crying ever since. He was diagnosed 2 years ago. I am exhausted and today, I just want to throw my hands in the air and give up. Does anyone else get so tired they just want to quit. I need some support from mom's that understand. He takes Ritalin 10 mg LA. Going to go to the next level, 20 mg. Have never had an increase.

booberryjuice responded:
I cried all the way home from my then 7yr. olds conference and he wasnt and isnt on any meds. I know how you feel. The gym teacher made me feel like my kid was a mental case and a wild uncontrollable child. I decided that this year for conferences - I'm NOT going to see him, if he cant handle my kid , then he doesnt have to have him in his meaningless class. I know - doesnt sound to adult , but he was really out of line in the way he treated me and my child for the class. I am however going to see the dr. on monday for same issues as last year. but now my kids talking bad about his life etc. whenever things dont go HIS way. I havent wanted to put him on meds - to me the side effects are things I'm truely trying to avoid. I have a 16 yr. old girl with ADHD too. I was hoping not to go thru this again. I just cant understand WHY they had to get this. But I can hardly do it again. I feel like crying all the time. But i will get over it soon (i hope) and try to do what i can to get them thru this. OH and my 16yr.old has gotten better thru the years, less fits. etc. ,, so there is a light at the end ! hang in there.

Gina Pera responded:
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so distraught.

Sometimes ADHD isn't easy on anyone -- the people who have it or those around them.

Rather than downspiraling into despair, though, it's better to seek support, become educated, and pursue better strategies.

The fact that your son has never had an increase on the medication seems to indicate that no protocol was followed. That is, it's advised to keep increasing the dosage (but in smaller increments than simply doubling it, as you propose) until side effects outweigh benefits. As you increase, you take careful inventory of ADHD-related challenges, to see if they're getting better or worse.

It's critically important to have solid targets for treatment, so you can measure success or see when symptoms are clearly getting worse. Some doctors and parents seem to think you can just give a child any dose of the stimulant, and that's all there is to it. But there's much more to it. For example, your doctor should be using rating scales or other means by which to track symptoms. And the doctor should try your child on at least two classes of stimulant, because it might even be that Ritalin is not the best choice for your child; another class of stimulant might work better.

If you're feeling this overwhelmed, is it possible that you are suffering from ADHD symptoms yourself -- or dealing with a spouse who has unrecognized ADHD?

To help a child with ADHD, you need to be able to focus on a clear strategy and do your best to create structure and help the child organize himself.

good luck,
Gina

Boyzmomee replied to booberryjuice's response:
I have two sons....one with ADHD and one with ADD. It is better to be proactive and seek out treatment and support.

Our children need calm parents who can provide structure and support treatment recommendations.

I know it is not easy.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.