Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Symptoms of ADHD vs Spoiled Rotten
An_240263 posted:
I have an 11 year old son that was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 months ago. Brought him to our family doctor due to constant notes being sent home from school about his excessive talking in class, he did show other symptoms of a child having ADHD. Anyway, he is already an intelligent child, but grades were not as good as they could be, now that he is on meds the grades are mostly "A's". My problem is the attitude. Little things seem to throw him in a "tizzy" and this can range from not getting his way or something that he doesn't like. Can the extreme mood swings come from his dosage or medication not right? Family doctors says up the dosage, keep him medicated longer...is that the right thing to do?

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear An_240263

You don't say when your son is having these mood swings. Is it as the medication is waering off or on weekends or when he is not on medication? If it is when the meds are or have worn off worn off, I would suggest that you make sure that symptoms are under control for a longer time and agree with the suggestion to increase his medication to a longer-acting formulation or add a short-acting after school. You also could use one of the newer mediations like Intuniv as an add-on to boost the effectiveness of the stimulant. If the mood swings are while your son's medication is effective you need to think side effects. Paying close attention will help you sort all of this out. Please report your observations to your son's physician and have a discussion about where to go from here.

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.