Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Where to start?
dekasmom posted:
Hello everyone! I am new to this community and decided to join because I have long since suspected my dauther to be ADD. After a parent-teacher confrence the other day with her kindergarten teacher, am all but convinced she does. I believe she may have the inattentive type.

She knows she wants to focus but is unable to do so, and I think it frustrates her. Her teacher was showing me examples of her work at school compared to other students of the same level, and you can tell where she loses focus. She tells me she gets bored at school, and when she brings her homework packet home, if I am not there constantly reminding her to stay focused, she loses track of what she is doing. She seems to oly really be able to concentrate when she is coloring or drawing, but even then it is limited to a few minutes before she gets bored and moves on. When she colors pictures at home, if the picture is too much for her, she will ask me to help her finish it (and she will not let it go until she finishes the picture, and to me this proves that she really wants to focus and get this done, but she is having trouble doing so). Her teacher expressed to me that Deka wants to pay attention, wants to listen, but is unable to do so. For example, the students were told to write down their favorite food, and then draw a picture of it. She wrote (not really, a mix of numbers and letters) spaghetti, but drew a picture of children playing on the play ground. When discussing Orvil Wright, the children were asked to name inventions, a few answered with kite, tools etc. but Deka answered with "My moms birthday was last week" (this is a false statement to begin with).

I have suspected her to be ADD since she was two, but brushed it off as, oh, she is just a kid. But after the parent-teacher conference, I am concerned and want to know where to start, and get some leads on where to look for more information on this ADD thing. I have already scheduled a consult with her pediatrician, but have no clue what to expect from there. Please, she is my one and only child (five years old, going to be six in Feb. next year), and I have no clue how to handle this or what to watch for (as far as physicians, mistreatment, what types of medications, support groups etc.). Thank you!

momuv4girls responded:
I would first go for a round of Educational testing - check for reading comprehension struggles, visual processing issues etc...

Your daughter maybe feeling overwhelmed with what is going on in the classroom and therefore is easily distracted, not necessarily meaning ADD.

Here is an interesting article to read and ponder:
http://learningdisabilities.about.com/od/learningdisabilitybasics/p/rdgcomprhnsn.htm

I would also consider possibly a neuro psych test - here is some info on that:

http://www.childrensmemorial.org/depts/childpsychiatry/neuropsychological-testing.aspx

At such a young age, I think its important to rule in or out certain things - hopefully some of this was helpful?

Take care,
Kathleen

dekasmom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you Kathleen! The links you provided are very helpful. I appreciate your response!

Sarra

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.