Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Newly medicated, having trouble coping
jayebug posted:
Hi, so I haven't been newly diagnosed, I have had psychologists tell me for years I have had something wrong with me since I was in college, but no on could figure it out, but that was 15 years ago, so maybe this was before anyone really knew what ADD was. I'm a nurse, so focus and organization is a must, and I was fine up until recently when I left the hospital setting and became a home care nurse. Home care is less supervised and less regimented than the hospital, you really have to have strong self management skills, which I soooo lack, and didn't realize this because I thought hey, nursing is nursing, right? Plus you have a ton of paperwork and strict deadlines, like I'll have only 24 hrs to hand in a 36 page evaluation. So, recently I ran into trouble with the paperwork aspect, overlooking details, not being able hand in stuff on time, etc, etc, plus I have that problem where I just kinda blurt things out, not like Tourette's, it's more like I get wrapped up in my speedy thoughts and I don't usually think things through because my brain is in such dissarray. Plus I can't follow directions well. So needless to say, I'm not a management darling, actually, I know they think I'm pretty annoying. I'm terrible with the management hierarchy, I always seem to go to the WRONG person with a problem, etc, etc. I know I would've been fired if my employer wasn't so terrified of a lawsuit. I started seeing a psychiatrist because of my problems and she put me on FMLA for ten days and started me on Adderall. So, the first dose I took of five mgs didn't really do a whole lot, it kinda took the buzz outta my head, but that was it, I'm up to 20mgs, but am still scattered, forgetful and am still just cutting people off and blurting things out in a conversation. All I seem to get is this nice feeling for the first couple of hours and then I kinda crash a few hours later. So I take two doses a day and I get the crash twice a day, and I really don't like the lull. It makes me a little depressed. I can't sleep, I have no appetite, and I think I'm a little dopey right now from sleep depravation. My shrink told me I could take Benadryl at night, which I think I'll start tonight. I do take my last dose at 2p. but then I'm low for the rest of the day, it's like I wanna take another dose and I know I can't cuz I won't be able to sleep. My shrink said the goal is to get me to once a day dose, and that makes me nervous, plus I have to go back to work next week! Is this really gonna make me better before next week? How do I avoid the crash and the other symptoms? Any input would help, thanks

julyinthesky responded:
Hello,
I am Julie a french Canadian nurse. Sorry for the speeling fault that i will do. i understood every things you wrote because i speak and read very god in english. .

For first time in my life i just met somebody exactly like me... you. You just put a big smile in my face. Like you i am a nurse since 15 years. I was put on Adderall a year ago ... but it is working just a few hours a day... since then i read alote about ADHD and maybe i can give the trick i discover but beelive me it is a figth every day.

I have so many things i would like to share with you that it will be to long if i write to you. I give you my skype # july6813 and my gmail is julyplanetegirls@gmail.com. If you write to me i can send video explaining all the stuff i know now.
Talk to you soon
Julie

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Jayebug

Are you on the short acting dose of Adderall? If so Adderall XR or Vyvanse, both longer-acting stimulants may help smooth out the "lulls" and help you throughout the day. I would discuss thes with your prescribing physician. In addition, you should know that while stimulants reduce symptoms and allow you to focus and concentrate, they do not teach you organization skills. You may also need to seek out an ADHD Coach to help you set goals and get all that paperwork done.

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.