Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help with getting my child to take her meds
beanma posted:
It is a fight to get my child to take her medicine EVERY day. I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to take it.Does anyone else have this problem and how do you get your child to take his/her medicine.
My child is 7 years old by the way.

motherofrob responded:
Have you tried the daytrana patch. My son who is now 8 would not take pills for me. It is only now that he will take some meds for us. The patch is a nine hour sustained release. I do find that the onset of the meds dose take about 1-2 hours thou. I generallly get up several hours early to place the patch. Some topical irritation may occur at the site.

Gina Pera responded:
motherofrob has already provided the first answer that popped into my head: trying the patch called Daytrana.

To consider other answers to your question, it would help to have more context. Is it that your girl has a hard time swallowing a pill? Does she now like how she feels when the medication is active? Is she generally oppositional?

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
While Daytrana would be a solution if your daughter is refusing her meds because she doesn't like swallowing pills. There may be other reasons. I agree with Gina's response below and would inquire as to why your daughter does not want to take her medication rather than just change to Daytrana.

beanma replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Thank You for trying to help me. She does not swallow the pill we tried that at first and she can not do it. I open the capsule and sprinkle it on food ALL kinds of food I think I have tried just about everything you can think of. Hopefully her doctor will call me back soon so we can figure all this out.

Gina Pera replied to beanma's response:
Okay, so she cannot swallow a pill.

But you've tried sprinkling a capsule's contents into food, and she won't eat it? (This is assuming it's the kind of medication that works in this manner.)

You still haven't explained your child's emotional reaction to the medication, her understanding of why she is taking it, etc.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.