Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
To Dr. Quinn
kittywriter posted:
After suffering from ADHD all of my life, I was finally diagnosed with it. Although I am a girl, I have the male form of the disorder and have always been a tomboy (couldn't sit still, overly talkative, extremely impulsive and my thoughts fly from one topic to another before anyone can realize that I've actually changed topics...etc.

Now, this is my quandary. My father has Lewy Body Disease. I have extensively researched Lewy Body, ADHD and the low levels of dopamine both possess. I am so scared that unless I get on an agonist drug for increasing my dopamine, I won't stand a fighting chance of not getting Lewy Body. Currently, I am on Lamictal and Wellbutrin. I had an adverse reaction to Strattera and was launched into an hypo agitated state. My doctor immediately DC'd the Strattera and put me on Wellbutrin. I have asked him for a dopamine agonist and the Wellbutrin. Do you think Wellbutrin is enough of an agonist to help me not develop Lewy Body?

Needless to say, I am really scared. I told my doctor about this and he said that because I exercise and eat right, that I am lessening my chances. However, my dad exercised and did try to eat right, yet my Dad lives in a catatonic state in a boarding home. He not able to get out of bed and live the life he used to. My dad never wanted to be in this state. Personally, I'd rather jump off a bridge than end up like him.

Please let me know which drug you feel would be the best to handle my adhd and help me increase my dopamine levels to give me a fighting chance against Lewy Body disease.

Thank you,

kittywriter

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Kittywriter

I don't think that drugs for ADHD have ever been studied for the purpose you propose. Howver, if you are looking for a long-acting alpha-adrenergic agonist, I would suggest the clonidine patch or the newer Kapvay. Continue to eat right and exercise and enjoy today. Stay in touch with your doctor, discuss these choices, and seek out therapy whenever you need it.

Best wishes,

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.