Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
underweight and still losing weight
An_241895 posted:
hi! i'm concerned about my 13 year old girl. She's on vyvanse, and dextroamephtemine, and is losing weight. Shes 56 inches (shortest in her classes), and weighs 58 pounds. She does not have much of an appetite. She wont eat breakfast, eats the small lunch at school (she doesnt want to take lunch, but agreed to eat at school), then by the time dinner rolls around, shes still not very hungry, and barely eats. No snacks(house rule, then she wont eat a healthy dinner). At her monthly med check, she's been slowly losing weight. a pound here, or two to three there. Shes very tiny to begin with, and doesnt have much at all but skin and bones. What could i do to help her maintain a healthier weight, and eat at least something?

aybara responded:
I would have a serious discussion with her physician. As a child I was diagnosed with ADD and was placed on ritalin. The result was that I also lost interest in food-In fact, I weighed about what your daughter did at 13. At the time, my mother opted to take me off medication and within a year I had gained 15 pounds. I am not saying to take your daughter off medication. I am saying that was our option. Today they have so many more drugs available to try.

I will say that to this day I am unmedicated and have implemented other methods to help control my symptoms. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Gina Pera responded:
I agree with aybara. What does your physician say?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.